lower third titles

Posted by Emre Korkmaz 
lower third titles
January 12, 2006 11:38AM
Hi everyone,
I finishing a video for a annual convention. I am doing lower third titles for speakers. It is not looking very professional with FCP lower third text title. Just wanted to check with you guys what do you guys prefer and use for these type of titles... I have LiveType installed, (i did not like lover third object) I also have AE, but it is in a PC.

Thank you for any suggestion
emre

Who controls the past, controls the future.
Who controls the present, controls the past.
Re: lower third titles
January 12, 2006 11:52AM
Sure, FCP's text objects aren't the most versatile, but the most important things are layout, font choice, colour choice, movements, and backgrounds. You may find Boris 3D a better choice for multiple fonts and sizes on a page. Just making the first letters of the name bigger than the other letters, for example, does wonders for making a lower 3rd look more "deliberate", and the outline options in both LiveType and Boris 3D help make the titles slicker. Use LiveType's graphics backgrounds to add a banner underneath, and be sure your font fits the tone of the show.

The tool is important, but the design is even more so. I've used the FCP Text Generator to create titles for films and shows for both theatrical exhibition and broadcast.
January 12, 2006 12:37PM
I've used FCP lower thirds for broadcast lots, as well as Motion/LiveType. The important thing is always a background that's interesting. But, I've done them without a backdrop, too. Remember to use a drop shadow, in any case.

Plus, remember not to judge your lower thirds based on how they look on your computer screen, as opposed to an NTSC monitor. Titles always look crappy in FCP, on the computer screen.
January 12, 2006 01:28PM
Unless you want some motion going on, use photoshop. You can make very good, nice designs that are easily editable(Make PS you still editor). Make sure you use the correct sizes for your system, photoshop has several default sizes and save your transparency
January 12, 2006 04:37PM
I'm with Scott. You should custom make them in Photoshop OR you can make your own with a combination of cropped color mattes and Title 3D.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 12, 2006 08:10PM
Yes. Photoshop is good. Also, if you use Photoshop, you can use it as an inverted alpha mask, and fill it with motion graphics, or a texture.
January 13, 2006 02:21AM
Thank you guys a lot. I have photoshop but it is in the PC. I will definitely try for lower 3rd titles. Since I am so pushed by the client to make the deadline, i will simply use FCP for that and see how it comes up...

thank you all again
emre

Who controls the past, controls the future.
Who controls the present, controls the past.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics