Render Issues!

Posted by Moe Moore 
Render Issues!
January 13, 2006 06:41PM
I am new and learning FCP, I am working with miniDV media.
I have my media stored on a LaCie 500GB RAID.
I am using 2 different macs to edit, my main mac is an imac G5 with tiger, and my other is a G4 laptop with tiger also. Both have FCP 5.0.4.
The "Issue" I have is that everything works fine when working through my iMac G5, but when I take the work home and use my G4 laptop, and using the same RAID, when I open up the sequences I get teh red render line of death, which makes working at home a pain.
Sometimes I wont get a red render line but the canvas screen will not show video and stay a solid green while playing a certain clip in the timeline.
This will happen with no apparent reason as one clip may need to be rendered and one clip will not, when they were all captured the same way etc.
The sequence settings have been checked also.
I've trashed teh preferences also.
I've already updated software, and was told by a friend that maybe my G4 doesn't like my RAID.
Any thoughts???
Much appreciated, Miserable Moe.
Re: Render Issues!
January 13, 2006 08:15PM
Did you set your render files to go to the Lacie? If not, every time you switch stations you'll lose the render files.

Furthermore, if you're having to render clips that have no effects on them, then you probably have a clip/sequence setting mismatch.

In case you don't know, every FCP setting (User Preferences, System Settings, Audio/Video Settings) is linked to that specific session. Preferences do *not* get saved as part of the project file. That means you must check all your settings at the beginning of every session.

As for the solid-green problem, check your Canvas and Viewer and make sure both are set to RGB. If only some clips have this problem and others don't, then you may have corrupted media.

Post Edited (01-13-06 18:17)

www.derekmok.com
January 13, 2006 09:24PM
What are the specs of both machines? The iMac might have more processor power...or something.
Moe
January 13, 2006 10:19PM
Thanks Derek, I'll try checking the render files preference. Moe
Moe
January 13, 2006 11:45PM
I'm begining to think I have a bug, My mpeg 2 wont show up either on the quicktime conversion pull down menu, it works on my imac G5 2GHZ, both have DVD Pro 4 on them, maybe its an issue with Tiger 10.4.4 and the 5.0.4 FCP.
I'm lost!
Thanks, Moe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics