change registration

Posted by Doug Fuller 
change registration
January 17, 2006 12:38PM
I recently bought a used G5 dual 2ghz, as well as FCP 4.5. How do I change the registration on both to be in my name?

Anonymous User
Re: change registration
January 17, 2006 12:42PM
The person you bought it from needs to transfer the license to you by calling Apple.

Then there's a file they will tell you to trash and the next time you launch, you will be prompted to enter registration information & the serial number.

January 17, 2006 12:55PM
The G5 is runnning OS 10.3.9. I'm planning to upgrade to 10.4 and FCP Studio as well. Will that give me a fresh registration without having to contact the seller?
January 17, 2006 01:09PM
you will HAVE TO contact the seller if you are going to transfer their license. apple will need all their info in order to prove its legal in the first place, then they will be able to cancel theirs and allow you to validate yours.

just FYI, simply buying a computer with a program on it doesnt mean that you now own that installed program. unless, the seller goes through the process of unregistering and or transferring - its legall still their program.
this misconception catches a lot of folks by surprise...

changing the registration of the machine isnt really neccessary unless your transferring warranty/applecare service. BUT its best to blank ANY new machine and do a clean install of the OS and your apps. and then you can register everything cleanly
Anonymous User
January 17, 2006 01:10PM
Nope.

The only way your upgrade is legal is if your original install is legal. The only way your original install is legal is if the original owner signs the license over to you.

Think of it as a used car. It's not really yours until the previous owner signs over the title to you, whether you paid for it or not.

January 17, 2006 01:21PM
Thanks a lot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics