Macbook Pro for FCP?

Posted by Kevin S 
Macbook Pro for FCP?
January 21, 2006 09:48PM
Too All,

I have a Dual 2.5 G5 that unfortunately does get much use- 1) because I am a hobbist 2) because my job takes me away from the comforts of home.

Now that the stage is set...I have come to the conclusion that a laptop would solve the latter of my neglect issues but I always thought the laptop's performance would be disappointing.

Now with this new "dual core" technology what will that mean for performance??? Is it essentially saying a 1.8 dual core is equivalent to a dual 1.8 G5????

Any thoughts, as always, are appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Macbook Pro for FCP?
January 21, 2006 10:14PM
You would neet to wait for March to purchase the Dual Binaries versions of Pro Video Apps to run them on the Intel MacBook Pro. Apple has said that the current G5 binaries will not run properly on Rosetta.

Personally though, I would not buy the first version of any new hardware and expect it to be troublefree. It is also an untested opinion whether FCP will run better on the MacBook Pro as it still is unproven.
January 21, 2006 10:39PM
Thanks John for your response.

You lost me between dual binaries and Rosetta. Can you translate that into plain speak. Are you saying the in addition to buying FCP5 I need to make another software investment?

Isn't the Intel chip already selling in the iMac? Is the Intel chip a version of the dual core in the G5?

Have I open up a can of worms?
Anonymous User
January 21, 2006 10:40PM
According to Maccentral it isn't. Not sure how FCP will run on an Intel but I'm betting not as good as "flawlessly" as they say. Twice as fast seems to be the usual RDF. Although. reports from NAMM have Logic running much faster on a MacBook Pro. Wait and see before you purchase is wise advice.

January 22, 2006 04:50AM
As far as my calculations (from spec) are concerned - it's pretty much what you suspected - the Dual core Intel chips Vs the Dual Core PowerPC G5 are GHz for GHz are a similar computing power - but are MUCH cheaper (and in the case of the MacBook Pro) are cool enough to put into a laptop - the G5 chips (at present) run too hot and consumes too much power for portable computing.

A Michael said:

Wait until the MacIntel machines have been out for a while and see what issues arise.

Also wait for the updated MacIntel versions of programs you most use.

The updated software may be free depending what version(s) you are running but until they release them you won't know.

Regards

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 22, 2006 09:44AM
Kevin-

As a hobbist are you using other than DV format video? If you are using DV any Powerbook probably will give you acceptable preformance.

I use a Powerbook on the road all the time to cut stuff as DV. Now, you are not going to get 10 Picture in Picture effects in real time. You will render a bit more than you are use to with your desktop system, and the renders are going to feel slow. In the end however, having the system available where you are is a BIG plus.

-Vnace
January 22, 2006 10:08AM
Its true - I have used even older 1GHz G4 PowerBooks on location to edit on with no difficulty - except extended render times for FX.

In fact when I first started cutting DV it was with the long forgotten EditDV on a 300Mhz G3!!!

So unless you are like some people who have to go get the latest greatest "techno-toothbrush-with-built-in-HD-ready-video-recording-and-bluetooth-video-conferencing-and-weather-updater" then I would look at the cheapest option that will do what you need.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 23, 2006 01:21AM
I've been wanting a laptop for a while and got really interested when i read about the new macbooks. Once they are proven and i save up some cash, thats def the way for me.

Are there any plans to replace the G5 towers w/ the Intel chips? Just wondering if everyone will need the new software, if so it should be very cheap, if not free.

Speaking of long forgotten, my first NLE was a Videotoaster! What a piece of crap that was. Then i went to Discreet, which i loved until they killed it off, thankfully fcp warms my heart and i cannot think of a possibility where Apple would make it go away...
January 23, 2006 04:23AM
Well I know that everyone (rightfully so) is a bit concerned about how these chips will run with Apple software. A few things that we should all keep in mind: Apple is progressive but not reckless. The chips appear to be solid (even Dell is offering an Intel Dual Core Chip for whatever that is worth). And Apple posted a 2006 fiscal qtr profit of $565M- which means they are not grasping for the "new" thing, they are steering us towards (hopefully) the "right" thing.

At MacWorld Jobs said:

?MacBook Pro delivers dual-processor desktop performance in a thin, sleek notebook,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?The new MacBook Pro, with its Intel Core Duo dual-core processor, delivers the performance of not just one, but two G5 processors in the world?s most stunning one inch thin design.?

If this is true I am selling my Dual G5.

At NAMM they ran Logic 7 on the Macbook Pro.

During a demo on the NAMM show floor with Apple executives, Logic?s performance seemed much faster than with PowerPC-based machines ? an observation Apple agreed with.

?The performance is stunning and has met my already high expectations,? Dr. Gerhard Lengeling, Apple senior director and lead architect audio/music apps, told Macworld.

Supposedly, Intel compatible upgrades to Logic will run $49. So FCP user should expect the same...I suppose.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics