which Internal Hard Drive?

Posted by caleb hansen 
which Internal Hard Drive?
January 26, 2006 03:36PM
I am running a 2 gig Mac G5. I am going to purchase an internal hard-drive for more space for video. I run FCP 5 and plan to get DVD Studio Pro soon. I am looking for the best internal hard drive for the money...I've seen cheapos starting at $100...I'd rather not spend over $200, but want to get quality and something made for handling video and large files related to video post production.

I have a 250 gig Lacie portable drive. Have had no problems with it at all. I'd get another, but have been told to get an internal one.

A name brand and product specs would be helpful (soo many choices out there).

Thanks,

Caleb Hansen

Caleb Hansen
HansenVideo.com
Re: which Internal Hard Drive?
January 26, 2006 03:48PM
also, I do serious editing with the multi-cam function, scaled down video, lots of graphics, etc. (Big Files) Don't know if that will play much as a factor or not.

Caleb Hansen
HansenVideo.com
DH
Re: which Internal Hard Drive?
January 26, 2006 08:59PM
Hi all.

Caleb, here's an idea. I believe that Apple uses the Seagate brand of hard disk internal to the G5. You could start your research with Seagate and see if you could get cost effective Seagate SATA drive.

While some will say don't use Maxtors or other brands, any disk of any brand can fail at any time. However, I solely use Maxtors, and I have never had a problem in the many years I have been using them. I guess good disk practices help as well.

I would use pricewatch.com and shopping.yahoo.com as places at which to search for decent hard disk prices.

Good luck.

Take care.

-DH
i have seen TONS of issues relying on pricewatch.com. cheapest dealer often equals lowest costomer service. find a vendor you like and stick with them. the extra $20 -$30 or so is wisely spent money.

here is a fantastic drive from a reputable dealer - just under $200

[www.compusa.com]

if you are legitimately a business, you can set up a "corporate account" with them and your rep will generally knock off a few bucks where they can.
as a side note. an extra internal drive is always a good thing, but ive been using nothing but external FW drives for the past 6 years for capture and storage and its been smooth sailing.

i would stay away from lacies though... search the forum, they are the biggest offender in firewire issues
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics