issues with dsr 1500A

Posted by Tim 
Tim
issues with dsr 1500A
January 27, 2006 11:34AM
I am trying to capture footage from a Sony DSR 1500A. I get the error message: "Capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be due to a problem with the tape.... To Capture as much footage as possible, please capture a clip that ends before this segment and another one that starts right after it."
If I retry the capture several times it eventually will accept it. After a search on this forum I tried cleaning the heads but it still does it. I don't think it is a tape issue as it has this problem with all my one-pass Sony tapes (both minis and full size). Plus they capture fine when played from my camera.
I borrowed this deck from someone and am using it for the first time. Are there menu settings I don't know about that may help this problem? Or time to take the deck in for service?
Tim
Re: issues with dsr 1500A
January 27, 2006 11:47AM
I forgot to mention I am inputting via i-link
Tim
January 27, 2006 06:36PM
Well, apparently it is not the dsr 1500A as the same problem has started to happen with other decks too. I've tried tapes that have worked fine capturing into a different G5 running FCP5. Is there a setting in FCP that could be causing this? I have v. 5.0.4
January 28, 2006 06:12AM
This deck has, for me and I know for others, proven to be very demanding on the firewire bus. All of our FCP and AVID XPress Pro editing stations have an add in PCI firewire card. When the 1500A is the only device on a firewire bus it works well for us. If it has to share a bus with any other device (most commonly a drive) it will not work properly. I don't know that this is the cause of your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it. I think there are some discussions in the archives either here or at creativecow.net that deal with the issue.

Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics