newbie non urgent help needed

Posted by neildp 
newbie non urgent help needed
January 29, 2006 05:15PM
Hi I am an experienced linear and non-linear editor (20yrs) but new to FCP.
I have a system set up at home that I am just messing around learning with and have had a couple of problems.
I have a dual 2.7 G5 with 4GB ram. I am using FCP Studio V5.04 OSX V 10.44 and QT V 7.04. I have a 2nd internal 250GB SATA hard drive and a Lacie Firewire 800 HD for media.
I digitised some media at work from digbeta 10bit SD and have copied the media to the internal SATA drive.
I was editing a simple video only sequence of around a min all was fine till I added a dissolve and a slomo clip.
These were rendered to the SATA drive and now my timeline keeps dropping frames and wont play. If I remove the effects clips the sequence still wont play without dropping frames.
Other much more complex sequences in the same project, all cuts but - 7 video layers, captions, mattes fills etc using the same media on the same drives work fine.
Has my sequence become corrupt in some way ?

Another thing was I added a dissolve to a rendered clip (tga file) then removed the dissolve. The section that was in the dissolve then became unrendered. Is his normal ?

I know this dropped frame thing has been gone over again and again but as far as I can see my settings are OK.
What might I have missed ?

Thanks

Neil
Re: newbie non urgent help needed
January 29, 2006 05:52PM
You are trying to do 10 bit SD on a single internal drive - That is the problem.

You need some sort of RAID that will give you enough bandwidth for at least 2-3 streams of SD to insure no drive read issues. 10 bit SD is around 25 MB/sec per stream. so at least two SATA drives with a RAID 0 setup would allow for at least 3 streams and 70 MB/sec.
January 29, 2006 06:35PM
Hi John

thanks for the reply - I realise that using this media on an internal drive is pushing my luck speedwise. I was kind of suprised when it played perfectly.
As I said the same media plays fine in a different 7 layer sequence with titles and mattes so was a little suprised when a simple dissolve and slomo made it fall over and removing the offending items made no difference.
I'll find some lower res stuff to mess with.
January 29, 2006 06:46PM
Neil,

One SATA drive on the internal 1.5Gbps bus can do around 45 MB/sec which can transfer one stream of SD 10 bit. My recommendation is based on experience and the SATA RAID solution is very inexpensive. Formerly, a SCSI RAID was the only solution.
January 29, 2006 07:00PM
John

thanks again, if I need to work on this system for real then I will take your advice and go the SATA RAID route. I am messing around learning the software and in this instance only playing a single stream, its about 8 cuts amounting to less than 30 secs. Since the much more complex sequence was ok I thought that perhaps drive speed was not the issue and I needed to look elsewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics