outputting FastChannel file

Posted by jenelle 
outputting FastChannel file
December 06, 2005 08:37PM
Hi-

I am on a G5, dual 2 GHz with 5,5gb ram using the latest version of FCP.

I have never had to use a video service to distribute my spots, but now need to do that - I will be using FastChannel & their specs are as follows:

Specifications for sending Video/Audio files to FastChannel Network
via FTP

1. Video: 18Mbs, MPEG 2 Program Stream, 4:2:2, 9 frame GOP,
29.97 FPS, 4 by 3 Aspect Ratio, 720 x 512 (recommended)
Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2, 2 Channels, 48 KHz, 20 bit, 384 Kbps
(recommended)

2. 3 seconds Bars and Tone

3. 3 to 10 seconds of slate

4. Acceptable video and audio quality:

Ø Average digital audio levels must range between -17dBfs
and -20dBfs (Analog: 0dB @ +4 dBm ref).

Ø Digital audio levels should peak between -10dBfs and
-12dBfs (Analog: no higher than +3), with a maximum of three peaks
per second.

Ø Setup level should equal 7.5 IRE.

Ø Luminance levels should not exceed 100 IRE.

Ø Chroma levels should not exceed 120 IRE.

5. The name of the file needs to include the ISCI code.

6. If any of these requirements aren't met, the file could
be rejected.

Any guidance would be appreciated - thanks
Re: outputting FastChannel file
December 06, 2005 09:10PM
What do you need help with? Do you understand any of it, or is it mostly gobbedly gook?
December 06, 2005 11:32PM
it is mostly gobbbedly gook to me - I understand I have to use compressor to make a MPEG2 file, but I didn't really see the correct settings there, so it must be a custom setting? I have never used compressor before, so I am a little lost. Maybe this doesn't fit into the forum.
December 07, 2005 12:34AM
OK. Well a lot of this information is actually stuff you need to do or check before you start compressing the file.

1. Video: 18Mbs, . . .384 Kbps (recommended)

This is the compression info. This comes later.

2. 3 seconds Bars and Tone
You need to put three seconds of colour bars and tone at the head of the file. You can do this by using the generator in the viewer (bottom right hand corner) choose an appropriate bars and tone and put three seconds of it at the head of your sequence.

3. 3 to 10 seconds of slate
This is three to ten seconds of information about the project. The name, the key or cat numbers (if any) the duration and whatever else you need to include for identification purposes. Add three to ten seconds of black after the bars and before the project start and use the title generator to put this info on the black.

4. Acceptable video and audio quality:

Ø Average digital audio levels .. . . with a maximum of three peaks
per second.

This is the maximum levels that your program may hit. You can use your onboard audio meters to check that your audio isn't too loud or soft, and doesn't get too loud too often.

Ø Setup level should equal 7.5 IRE.
This is what brightness level your blacks should be.

Ø Luminance levels should not exceed 100 IRE.
This is what brightness level your whites (or brightest level) can be. Not higher.

Ø Chroma levels should not exceed 120 IRE.
This is what brightness levels your colour can be. Not higher.

If this is scary prospect, I would recommend putting on a 'broadcast safe' filter on the whole project and rendering it off. Choose 'conservative' and check every very bright frame with the luma range check on. If there are still problems, work on each section individually to bring down the brightness.

5. The name of the file needs to include the ISCI code.
I have no idea what that is. Someone else may know.

6. If any of these requirements aren't met, the file could
be rejected
They're serious tongue sticking out smiley

Once you have this stuff sorted, then come back for help on compression. HTH.
December 07, 2005 01:41AM
thanks - back tomorrow...
How to Get ISCI Codes

When submitting TV PSAs to the "big four" broadcast networks in New York, they may require that you add an "ISCI Code" to your PSA. What is "ISCI" and how do you get one? ISCI stands for "International Standard Commercial Identification" code, which is given to each commercial (and some PSAs) for identification purposes. ISCI's 4.4-billion codes are the "standard" of television advertising. ISCI codes for TV commercials are owned by the Association of National Advertisers and American Association of Advertising Agencies - operated by the latter. To get an ISCI code assigned to your next project, contact: Louise O'Gara, Manager, ISCI Phone: 212-682-2500 or email: louise@aaaa.org.

taken from: [www.psaresearch.com]
February 08, 2006 12:57PM
I have been searching site after site for an answer and came across this discussion. I work for a company who is also using Fast Channel for broadcast, and they are telling us (despite repeated tries to correct them) that our broadcast levels are not within range. We have tried everything from the broadcast safe filter to Joe's filters. Any idea what we're doing wrong? A regular output from our system with no correction is reading at Fast Channel as 110 luminance and 0 black. Our internal FCP vectorscopes are telling us different. We are also using a blackmagic card, compressor and cleaner to compress to the mpeg 2. There are a lot of variables in this and we just can't seem to narrow it down to the problem. Is there any one who can help us with this issue?

Thanks for your time,
Rebecca Jameson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics