Sound

Posted by Adrian Yen 
Sound
March 06, 2006 05:54PM
Last year, I recorded a bunch of traditional African music with some pretty standard sound field equipment. The recording sessions were very long. I decided to bring these WAVE audio files into FCP. I want to cut individual songs out of the sessions and export them as smaller WAVE and AIFF files, so that my friend can then take these files into Pro Tools and further manipulate them. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to do this to achieve the best quality of sound. I know there are a bunch of different ways to rate compressors, etc... but I don't know what this all really means when it comes to the final files I need to hand over to my friend.

Can anyone offer up some suggestions?
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Sound
March 06, 2006 06:31PM

<<<pretty standard sound field equipment.>>>

That's not enough to go on. Are they on DAT tapes?

Koz
March 06, 2006 06:39PM
Sorry about that.

I used a small mixer attached to a Marantz Compact flash recorder. So all my files were recorded digitally as WAVE files which I downloaded directly onto my hard drive-- where they are now.
March 06, 2006 07:14PM
If you are going to work in DV, your best bet is AIFF files at 48khz.
March 06, 2006 07:17PM
The wave files will eventually go to my friend who will clean them up in pro tools. We'll then take these doctored recordings and compile a cd for sale.
March 06, 2006 07:33PM
The best sound quality will be achieved by the least amount of conversion possible. So depending on the sample rate and bit depth you recorded the files at, being that your destination is CD which is 44.1Khz & 16 bit, if that is what your field settings were, then you should keep the files at that rate through the entire process. By converting them to 48k AIFF in FCP and then back to 44.1k you may lose some quality. You'd be better off giving your friend the original .wav files and letting him extract just the songs you want in Protools.
Re: Sound-- Question for Frank
March 06, 2006 08:02PM
I could give him the originals except that they're so long and so many that he'll never get through them-- that's why I'm trying to find a way to cut them down.

Now if I originally recorded at 48 Khz 16 bit in .wav format, then when I go to export the pared down files, they probably should be 48 Khz 16 bit .wav files to avoid as much loss of quality.

When he is finished with them in Pro tools, what's the best way to go about converting them for the best 44.1 Khz CD quality?
Re: Sound-- More Info
March 06, 2006 08:08PM
So I recorded the music in the PCM 48 Khz 16 bit stereo format using a Marantz Compact Flash Digital Audio Recorder.
Re: Sound-- Question for Frank
March 06, 2006 09:32PM
After he has finished tweeking them in Protools he can master and save them in Protools as 44.1k files and burn them to CD.
tc
March 07, 2006 01:21AM
Hi-

Try doing your editorial in Audacity rather than FCP. Last time I checked, it was a free download, it's very inuitive, and it seems to get along with .WAV files just fine.

tc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics