Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this plugin? I placed a QT trailer online!

Posted by filmman 
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this plugin? I placed a QT trailer online!
March 06, 2006 05:56PM
When I open this page a message comes up and says the plugin performed an illegal operation. Does this trailer play on your browser? What's wrong with the code? Please help. I will share with you how I compressed this .mov for the web. Let me know your impression about the quality also. Thanks!

htt://www.liv.net/star_quest_trailer.html
Re: Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this plugin? I placed a QT trailer online!
March 06, 2006 06:30PM
Looks like too high a version of QuickTime Player, or a missing codec. Oh, and your link is missing a "p": "["];
Re: Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this plugin? I placed a QT trailer online!
March 06, 2006 06:42PM
WOrks fine for me. I am using QT 7 and an ibook 500mhz.
Re: Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this plugin? I placed a QT trailer onli
March 06, 2006 07:13PM
Works fine here. It's H.264 so you'd need quicktime 7 to see it.
works fine for me as well (aside from that "p" problem). QT 7 in firefox
Re: Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this plugin? I placed a QT trailer onli
March 06, 2006 08:59PM
Hey, you guys, I'm excited ... after years of trying :-) Ben King the LAFCPUG regular from the UK sent me the code. I cut and pasted it on the html page and voila it worked. Only I didn't have the QT 7 player, but now I do ... and thanks for checking this out for me. Notice that the movie is only about 800 k, which is what I was trying to do -- something in that range. I'd love to be able to drop that to 4-500 k though. I tried so many versions so I forgot what I did, but I'm going to write down all the variations I convert the trailer into and report it here. So this is a H.264 -- thanks, Jude, I'm glad you figured that out.

Oh, yes, the page is at: [www.liv.net]
First, the height should be 316 pixel, since it is needed an extra space for the "show controller" option. Also, I cleaned up some "/" at the "<param...>" line too.

Good Luck,
Antonio

//------------------ revised version ------------

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>Star Quest Trailer</title>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#000000" text="#EBEBEB" link="#00FFFF" vlink="#00FFFF" alink="#00FFFF">
<h1 align="center">STAR QUEST TRAILER</h1>
<center>
<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="[www.apple.com]; height="316" width="400">
<param name="cache" value="true">
<param name="src" value="/movies/STARQUEST-TRAILER.mov">
<param name="autoplay" value="true">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<embed height="316" pluginspage="[www.apple.com]; src="[www.liv.net];
type="video/quicktime" width="400" controller="true" autoplay="true" cache="true">
</embed>
</object>
</center>
<p align="center"><a href="/">Index</a> | <a href="mailto:liv@liv.net">E-Mail</a></p>
</body>

</html>

Ps. If you want to learn more about the HTML for Qucktime, please go to here...

[developer.apple.com]

...and download the "HTML Scripting Guide for QuickTime" pdf. It is only 42 pages and not hard to understand.

Have Fun,
Antonio

You do need to be careful about the flavor of animation you use on the net.

If you pick a really high, modern version of QuickTime to produce your work, it's possible only 53 people are going to see it. The most obvious problem is all the PCs out there without QuickTime Player and then all the older Apples who can't see the upgraded QuickTime.

A lot of us use a low version of QuickTime for one version and Flip4Mac or something lilke that to produce a version for the billions of Windows machines out there. You might consider that.

Koz
March 07, 2006 05:14PM
Thanks, Antonio, I replaced the html with the one you sent me. Take a look now -- I'm going to upload the new file in five minutes. I checked out the link yo sent me, but which of the files should I read, all of them?

And Koz, I don't have Flip4Mac. Maybe I should make trailers for QT 6 ?
<<<I don't have Flip4Mac.>>>

OK. That means you're posting for 5% of the computers in the world. You can export AVI, but we've never found those to look very good.

I talked to the humans that post the work. it doesn't so much matter which QuickTime you use as the codec inside. We use Sorenson 3 and they have a set of numbers we and the Commercial Division settled on as the ones that look the best. I also believe we started streaming which actually made things look worse because the compression has to be higher.

I know we also started to use Flash here and there. If you're on a PC or can be made to be on a PC, surf over to www.rhythm.com and chug down to the commercial division and see if you like the videos--or can even play them.

Koz

March 08, 2006 12:47PM
Okay, this is all great. I'm going to try an .avi conversion and see what it looks like. This trailer is an old trailer that I originally edited on a very simple program that came with the digitizing card I bought for my PC several year ago. So the trailer isn't exactly what I want. Now that I have FCP5 and the G5 dual processor 2.7 -- well, I'm very excited to try and do a first rate trailer. I just need to know how to write the code that will insert an .avi movie into my webpage. Are there different codes for each type of movie file, or can one use the same code for all? Please help. Thanks!

PS: I'm going to check out rythmn.com
March 10, 2006 12:43PM
AVI is awful! In QT .mov my file was 800 k, but in .avi it ended up as 10.1 MB ! And it was terrible. I can't believe it. No wonder Windows doesn't even support it anymore. My trailer is 50 sec. I need to find a more popular format so more than 5% of the people can see it. Please advise. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm pleading with you -- this is the future of movies on the Internet we're talking about here :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics