4.5 to 5.0 install

Posted by spaceman 
4.5 to 5.0 install
February 20, 2006 06:26PM
Made a mistake of upgrading my 10.3.9 to 10.4.4 and the world is dark again.
My next fick "THE RETURN OF THE BEACH BALL".

So I am going to upgrade a second boot drive from 10.3.5 to 10.3.9 so I can install FCSudio on it.
It has 4.5 now...
The question is ..

Can I install over 4.5 or must I remove all that pertains to 4.5 first.
Thnak,
A.F.
Re: 4.5 to 5.0 install
February 20, 2006 06:56PM
""Can I install over 4.5 or"" - Best not too! Some do and get away with it but I would not recommend it for a pro environment.

What's the problem with 10.4.4 and FCP 5? FCP 5 needs QT 7 and QT 7 works best with Tiger. The 10.3.9 and QT 7 has caused lots of problems for a lot of people.
February 20, 2006 07:19PM
I have tried evrything including 1/2 a day with Apple.

Applications won't quit, won't force quit, just watch the Beach ball turning for as long as you can stand it.

The only, ONLY way to force quit an app. is to shut down the system with the button.

I have Safge booted at least 50 times, rebuilt permissions at least 100 times and nothing cganges.

Trashed Cache folders in the HD libraryand the User library nothing stops this beach ball gayla. OS 9 was better then this, anyway.

NEVER had one single problem with 10.3.9 and FCSP5 and running QT 7+/

Oh, Tiger was put on a brand new 255gig hatachi drive, formated and then installed the OS..

the system is a dual 2.5 G5..

before this, The best system I ever owned.

Any more questions I can answer, this is a nightmare, I think I covered all bases.
Thanks,
A.F.
Anonymous User
February 20, 2006 07:36PM
Spaceman--

Did you do a clean install?

I recently upgraded 2 computers by doing a full wipe and initialize of the hard drives. After that, I installed Tiger, applied all updates, repaired permissions after each. Then I installed apps, applied all updates, and repaired permissions after each one and I have had not one problem with either machine.

If you didn't start with a clean hard drive, that might be the source of your issues.

February 20, 2006 07:42PM
Ded,
It was is a new HD with a clean install.

Downloaded all updates and after each one I repaired permissions (2.5 days of work).

My system does not like tiger.

The question is qoing back to the disk that has 10.3.9 and FCPS 4.5 on it, do I remove all components and Apps of 4.5 before intstalling FCPS 5?
Anonymous User
February 20, 2006 08:21PM
That's too bad, spaceman...I can't think of a reason the computer wouldn't "like" the OS...unless it's an older G4...I guess you didn't tell us what the CPU is...

Honestly, I'd say it's better to start over. Wipe the drive and install Panther, apply updates, repair permissions, etc...just like you did with Tiger and FCP 5.

I'm not sure FCP 5 will play nice with 10.3.9. It may, I just can't give you a definitive answer.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

February 20, 2006 08:46PM
Deb,
System is a Dual 2.5 G5...

Fortunatly I have 2 intenal HD's, one was/is the nes tiger drive, the other is/was 10.3.5 with fchd 4.5 on it.

I just did a combined update to 10.3.9 and am moving all FCp components off.

After all the OS updates are downloaed and perm. repaired after eachm I will install FCPS 5 just as before. I sure it will be as dependable as it was pre tiger.

I just may leave Tiger on the other drive and see if I can wade through the muck and try, at my lesure, to get it to work.
thanks for your thoughts.

It must be the bad vibes I've always had twards tiger for no obvious reasons except for the toys built into it ie. "dashboard", "spotlight" (which find always did the job for me nice and cleanly, getting back aty me.
Thanks,
A.F.
Anonymous User
February 20, 2006 08:53PM
Good luck. It sounds like you've done everything correctly. Your CPU is obviously up to the task model-wise.

The only hail mary I can think of is maybe you've had some RAM go bad.

I suppose that might be an avenue to go down if your reversion back to 10.3.9 gives you grief, too.

February 20, 2006 09:12PM
Deb,
That's the best thought of all.
I have a full 8gigs of ram and when the apple autherized dealer (who I've delt with for 15+ yrs) put in the new drive, I asked him to check the logic board, ram, video, etc just for the sake of checking, said all is well.

Now so far loading all on 10.3.9 disk, I havn't seen the return of the infameous "beach Ball". I have lived in Malibu for over 35 years now, the next person i see playing with a lookalike beach ball wont be a happy camper.

SO FAR SO GOOD..

I still think it's my vibes twards Tiger.
Thanks for thoughts they were great and if anything else cross's your mind, please by all means let me know.
And I will keep Tiger on the other drive there's to many folks that are happy with it so i'll try but keep working with 10.3.9
A.F.
February 20, 2006 10:51PM
It sounds like a job for DiskWarrior to me.

Also look at Onyx (freeware i use to clean caches and run unix scripts)

Stevieb1972
February 21, 2006 11:11AM
Steve,
Don't have DWfor tiger justtheone befoe and I'm told notto use thatone.
however I ran Onyx, didn't solve anything...

I have a new thought, I have a 1.5 ter raid system installed which I think uses a Sonnet tempo-X eSata 4+4 card.
I'm going to check if thereis a firmware update for Tigerfor that raid System.
There's justtomany folks nothaving problems with 10.4.4 to be nothing.

FYI, I reloaded 10.3.9 on my secound internl and made itthe boot drive, Loaaed all my stuff rebuilding permissions after each install including the apple updates and adobe updates and guess what?

It's as good as it get's. I even exported, to check it, to QT 7.0 no issues and best of all, GONE IS THE BEACH BALL.

Thanks for your thoughts, I kept 10.4.4 on the the other internal drive to see if I can work through it.
A.F.
Anonymous User
February 21, 2006 11:26AM
Once you get up and running, spaceman, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a current copy of Disk Warrior. I consider it a "consumable", something I have to continue to buy, like disk blanks and tape stock.

When you need it, it's invaluable. Having to run out and find it when you need it is a real drag.

I know you have other hurdles at the moment, but just keep it high on the list! You'll thank yourself!

February 21, 2006 12:29PM
>I have a new thought, I have a 1.5 ter raid system installed which I think uses a Sonnet tempo-X eSata 4+4 card.

This could be getting close to the root of the problem! If your raid was set up using apple disk utility as a software raid, then it wont take too kindly to OS updates. Try disonnecting the raid and see if you can boot up with the new OS.
February 21, 2006 01:52PM
Do what Frank says, but I have to say, I'm running 10.4.4 on a G5 2.0 with the Sonnet tempo-x eSata 4+4 card and handled the upgrade fine.

I have 4 Hatiachi 250gig hooked into my card.

Only other idea I have is power to the raid. I know that I went with Hatachi's cuz the seagate demanded too much power from the G5 on startup and spinup and were causeing some problems. I didn't want to mess with the G5 power supply so I went with the Hatachis.

Good Luck
Good to hear you are up and running

Stevieb1972
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics