Audio Question

Posted by Jen 
Jen
Audio Question
February 22, 2006 11:13AM
A question about audio. Why is it that I get two mono audio tracks when using only one mic source (1 wireless lav) when recording with my miniDV cam? Does deleting one of the audio tracks make a difference? Is the second audio track simply just multiplying the signal level x2? How can I set my camera to only record one mono track?

Jen

Greg Kozikowski
Re: Audio Question
February 22, 2006 12:57PM

Some cameras are internally wired to do that.

If you unplug the built-in microphone and the plug has three conductors on the plug (sleeve, ring, and tip), then the single microphone is feeding both sides of the recorded track--or may be a stereo microphone. If you plug a mono microphone in, you will probably only get "Left."

If, on the other hand, the camera has a separate MIC IN connector, it's entirely possible that it's wired internally to send one mic to both channels. You may be able to change it with menus.

Another possiblity is that you have a mono mic and it's been wired to apply sound to both tracks. Look at the plug on the mic. Are there three conductors (see above)? Mono microphones usually only have top and sleeve. They are missing the little ring in the middle.

[www.radioshack.com]

The gold plug at the top of this illustration is stereo. The tip is "Left," the ring just behind it is "Right", and the body of the connector is a common protective shield for both tracks.

Koz

February 22, 2006 03:13PM
Problem: captured audio tracks cannot be seperated (want to delete one track).
Situation: I recently attempted a quick voice-over fix...recording trax on a pd150 dvcam settings (48k) via mic (sure sm58--xlr) into ch1 with the external switch sending ch1 signal to both channels 1 & 2. Captured the tape from pd150 via firewire to fcp 4.5 with capture presets audio: ch1 + ch2. I just checked the Sequence Preset Editor to notice that the Audio setting (export) are ck'd 48k, 16bit, stereo. A/V settings indicate Sequence Presets same.
Yet... I can delete one of any other pair of audio tracks I've captured (but not paired as with the recent v/o).
Question: Did the pairing of audio channels on the camera recording cause them to be stereo stuck? or is there another reason? Its important to know because I often record two tracks at different gain from same audio source in live action (one is safety set at lower setting).
tnx
Sanjay
February 22, 2006 07:54PM
Jen - think of the second channel as a safety. If something goes horribly wrong with one mic, it might just save your ass one day. If it's annoying in the timeline, just delete it or turn it down, or don't add it to the timeline - disconnect the a2 patch button before inserting the clip.

Sanjay - select your stereo clip in the timeline and press option l to un-stereo them. You should then be able to select them seperately.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics