project that is about 75% HDV and 25% DV, best way to upres the DV?

Posted by jdfilms 
project that is about 75% HDV and 25% DV, best way to upres the DV?
February 22, 2006 05:56PM
I am currently working on a project that is probably 75% HDV and 25% DV and my final output is DVD (until HD DVD is available).

With some tests about a month ago it looks like taking the DV footage and dropping it into a HDV timeline and scaling it up 300% would fill the screen from right to left and cut off the top and bottom of the DV footage, which for an HD output wouldn't look the greatest compared to the HDV footage as expected. When downcoverting for DVD the DV footage that was upscaled still looked the same as before it was upscaled which seemed acceptable to me.

Does this sound like a good workflow or does anyone have other suggestions for upscaling the DV footage that could make it look better at the HD resolution?

My system:
Dual 2.7 G5 with 4 GB, dual 23" cinema dispays (using second display for HDV monitoring for now)
Hitachi 250 GB media drive and 250 GB drive that shipped with the G5.
Sony FX1, and HC1 that I am using for my HDV capturing.
DSR-25 for DV capturing.

www.dezertpeople.com
www.jdfilms.com
You actually have two problems.

As you found, one is 16:9 and the other is 4:3. Something is going to be lost when you go between them--cut off or letterboxed--plus the blowup quality.

I hope you're going for a dream or efffects sequence or something because that probably isn't going to look very good.

Kos

for what you are going for..the dv footage is going to look very poor. your best bet is to downconvert and then not even worry about hd-dvd right now. or go to web because it wont look so grainy
ive done this a few times mixing dv and hdv and the best results are when hdv is downconverted to a dv timeline and putting a letterbox matte on the dv stuff. good luck
Re: project that is about 75% HDV and 25% DV, best way to upres the DV?
February 22, 2006 06:48PM
sorry I should have mentioned what the project is. Its an action sports DVD that has the most exciting shots from multiple events which is edited to music. In reality its not a feature film where I would want it all at HD quality, so most people just want to see the action and good quality is just a plus. I am also going to be very selective of most of the DV footage we are using.
For the final standard DVD output the DV footage will look the same as if I originally edited in DV. Except that the footage was cropped to be 16:9 which I want. But once there is a HD delivery format then yes, the DV footage that was blown up will not look as good as the HDV footage. I am just wondering if there is a better way to do it than upscaling it on the HDV timeline, for the best quality. (although that seems to be the easiest)

Post Edited (02-22-06 16:49)

www.dezertpeople.com
www.jdfilms.com
hey..i shoot bodyboarding, and our next video is going to be entirely HDV, but downconverted to a dvd until hddvd comes out or bluray..anyway
i had a year worth of mini dv stuff and what im doing with it is putting it in the extras section as a bonus..just an idea to keep the hdv stuff separate from the dv stuff but still using your dv footage
February 25, 2006 12:31AM
when I'm watching tv -- I have a standard tv monitor, not the 16:9 -- I see that some programs mix 4:3 and 16:9. I see the black strips on 16:9 and then the frame gets full when showing 4:3. It doesn't bother me. I'm wondering what others think of this.
February 25, 2006 01:56AM
That is how our last DVD was and it turned out great. But it was the opposite, probably 75 - 85% 4:3 DV footage and the rest HD and Film.

This time its mostly 16:9 HDV and I would actually like to author the DVD in 16:9 instead of 4:3 letterboxed.

www.dezertpeople.com
www.jdfilms.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics