Surprise Audio Glitches

Posted by pgmiranda 
Surprise Audio Glitches
March 10, 2006 09:50AM

I have been editing a live concert (with multicam), where one of the cameras (Mini DV) has a direct audio line from the sound mixer desk. I captured this material as usual (along with dozens of other clips) but yesterday, while working on this particular clip (audio camera) I noticed that there was a glitch in the audio that I hadn't spotted before. This audio will be my final broadcast audio, there will be no audio post-production, and there is no DAT.

Opening up the Audio Waveform in the Viewer I could see a little gap (only 1 or 2 frames) which meant that the original audio was damaged. I went back to my tape and recaptured that tiny bit of audio just to patch it up (on the Mini-DV there was no glitch), but this morning, while working on the same concert I noticed there are 2 more identical glitches that I hadn't seen, a few seconds on in the edit! It seems (and this is scary!) that with time this particular file is being corrupted, or suffering damage within the system. It hasn't happened to any other file and I closed the project this afternoon and won't need to re-open it, so the danger for this project is over...

But I am worried about this audio file deteriorating within FCP (and I didn't imagine it or miss it the first time, the Director is my witness), has anyone had a similar problem or know of a possible cause?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

pgmiranda
Re: Surprise Audio Glitches
March 10, 2006 10:22AM
Dropouts happening to the source media *after* capture are very, very rare. So rare that I haven't seen a single occurrence in eight years of editing. If you are 100 per cent sure you didn't miss them after the last capture, then check your Scratch Disk for misformatting, and check all drives to make sure they have at least 10 per cent free space. Disconnect the clip in FCP and then reconnect it, see how it responsds. Dump the Waveform cache. View the clip in QuickTime Player and see if you hear the same dropouts.
Re: Surprise Audio Glitches
March 10, 2006 10:30AM
Will do, let you know how it went...

Thanks!

pgmiranda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics