Upgrading to FCP 5/Tiger 10.4/QT 7

Posted by Phil 
Upgrading to FCP 5/Tiger 10.4/QT 7
March 13, 2006 07:28AM
I wish to upgrade to FCP 5 from 4.5 and also from panther to Tiger. Can I do this and still run the projects I have created on panther and FCP 4.5? Can I just upgrade and have everything be hunky dory? Can I have an easy life? Where do I start? Is it a matter of doing all this via the Apple site? How long is a piece of string? Thank you...from Phil
Re: Upgrading to FCP 5/Tiger 10.4/QT 7
March 13, 2006 07:42AM
Yes.

Yes, if you properly clean erase and install the new OS.

No. Life is hard and then you die.

With purchasing the software, the OS and the new Final Cut Studio suite of applications that will be released within the next couple of weeks.

Just less than it needs to be.

All the best,

Tom
Hi Tom, do I have to buy the whole production suite? Is,nt there an upgrade that costs around £150 and upgrade to FCP 5 and Motion 2? Cheers Phil
March 13, 2006 08:39AM
Check out the apple web page for Final Cut Studio crossgrades that allow you to move to the complete studio from FCP 4 for $99.00 or $199.00. It is the best deal goind today, since Apple is no longer selling Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro or Motion individually, so the Studio is the ionly choice.
March 13, 2006 08:57AM
Although I agree with Tom that a totally clean install is the best option it is possible to just upgrade and clean the system as discussed in previous conversations.

I followed the upgrade route with no problems.

But if you have time time and not much to back-up then go for the fresh install approach.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 13, 2006 09:07AM
Many people have reported problems with this and other software that has been directly linked to this method of installation. There's a lot of room for operator error in here, and many applications do not have the right items placed correctly in the new OS when it's done though Archive and Install, and even more so when running the simple upgrade. I would always recommend for a new operating system, which 10.4 is, to clean install. Updates are obviously different.

All the best,

Tom
March 13, 2006 11:42AM
>How long is a piece of string?

Is that a U.K. or a U.S. piece of string?
Greg Kozikowski
March 13, 2006 02:59PM
Yeah, like siderial inches or what?

You appear to be a perfect client for the OSX Imaging service. Buy or commandeer a "backup" FireWire drive and burn an Image of your current install/System Drive over to it (boot from the System CD. It's one of the options). For example, if your system drive is SnuggleBunsHD, there would be one huge file on the FireWire drive called SnuggleBunsHD.img. That's the whole System Drive saved as a single file in case you need it.

Then do a totally fresh install of the new operating system on the computer and all the new software packages (more or less everyone agrees that's the best way).

If you get burned, Image the fresh, new system to the above FireWire drive (SnuggleBuns_2_HD) and blow the old image back into service. You can keep sloshing back and forth like that until you're convinced that everything is going to work right with the new system.

It beats the heck out of blowing the old machine away permanently and then have your projects go into the toilet.

Koz

is the image feature new to Tiger?on the install discs you say?

is this the same/similiar as using Carbon Copy Clone software?

any dif?

thanks
Greg Kozikowski
March 13, 2006 09:07PM
<<<is the image feature new to Tiger?on the install discs you say?>>>

Disk Images have been possible on UNIX systems since about 1956--or before.

All I had to do was figure out where Apple put it. It has to be on the System CD (DVD) because you have to be standing somewhere else when you Image a hard disk.

I'm going back to the instruction books and FAQs now to remember the particulars and you can do that, too.

<<< Carbon Copy Clone>>>

I've never used it, but I would not be shocked if that was a pretty face on the classic Image software.

You know when you download or install software and one of the steps in the middle is a file called SomethingOrOther.dmg. That's a disk image file. You take an entire software installation environment and package it as a relatively bulletproof image. You can distribute software like that, but nowhere is it written that you can't image your whole hard drive.

Koz

Greg Kozikowski
March 14, 2006 03:26PM

Here it is. It's buried in Disk Utilities.

(in this case)
Applications, Utilites, Disk Utilities
and right there on the top bar "New Image."

It has to be somewhere like that on the System CD/DVD.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics