Pal to NTSC

Posted by Steve Douglas 
Pal to NTSC
March 17, 2006 07:21PM
I've no experience using PAL footage and I will need to import some into FCP and then convert. My question is, if it is on tape will it even play on an NTSC cam or deck (GVD-1000) so that I can log & capture it. Or..will I have to borrow a friends FX-1 and use that as the deck?
Thanks for a reply-
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Pal to NTSC
March 17, 2006 07:42PM
Some will and some won't. You need to Google your brains out for the deck model number and see.

Koz

March 17, 2006 09:29PM
The Sony DSR-11 can both play and record NTSC and PAL. I found that my NTSC PD-150 can play PAL.

You can convert with Nattress Standards Converter and probably Compressor 2 also.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
March 19, 2006 05:46AM
Steve --

I am NTSC, but recently I had a PAL project come to me. My Sony DSR-11 was PAL-compatible -- so I could digitize and work -- but my card and monitoring system were not PAL compatible.

Nattress' standards conversion plug-ins for FCP made it possible to "convert" PAL to NTSC, so my client could watch, see, and use here in the States. No complaints from either me or my client. Not as good as an analog/lab conversion, but pretty swell.

I sugggest the same path -- DSR-11 rental should be pretty cheap, and I think the plug-in is like $100, not too bad.

Caveat -- I have no idea what I'm talking about, just my experience.

good luck!

karl t
March 19, 2006 12:24PM
Much thanks to all, I do have the Nattress converter plug in(never used before) but was wondering how to get the PAL footage into FCP so that I could apply the conversion plug in.-Steve

steve-sharksdelight
March 19, 2006 11:25PM
I've had the same issue but the other way around. NTSC - PAL.

Simply use a camera or deck that reads both PAL and NTSC, then you just change all your settings settings to PAL and capture as usual.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics