finishing a HDV feature "properly"

Posted by Karl Hirsch 
Hey all --

I am budgeting post for an HDV feature, 1080i60/29.97, for "best possible picture quality" and "best for possible D/I."

I am finding that not many people in the world have finished a feature film (not a doc) shot in HDV 1080i60/29.97 "professionally" -- properly onlined, color-timed at a lab, etc. I am currently conducting some interesting tests to see exactly what 29.97 1440 HDV looks liike when laid off to HDCAM 1920 59.94, then converted to 23.98.

Has anyone else out there gone through this process, with footage shot in this manner, looking for something "visually close" to true HD? If so, please share your experiences, good or bad.

If not, I'm on the path... please let me know if you are curious.

best
karl t

Re: finishing a HDV feature "properly"
March 19, 2006 08:08AM
Well, for 24p conversion you can try my Standards Conversion or Film Effects plugins depending on your route and whether you need a 24p master or 24p with 3:2 pulldown 29.97fps master.

For Colour Correction, I'd look at Final Touch, and I've used that on HDV material and tweaked it a bit to get some better quality out of HDV.

HDCAM, however, is still very compressed, and it's still 1440 just like HDV. You have to go to D5 or HDCAM SR to get full raster 1920x1080.

Although you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, you should get close using the above.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
I have to say that the Standard Conversion and Film Effects plugins on FANTASTIC. The Natress suite of tools has allowed me to create a 24p master for filmout using the 1080i60/ origination model.

It is the best solution out there. I am struggling with the 24p world with the JVC HD100. It will be there soon, but if I was starting to do a feature now, I'd certainly use the 1080i60/Natress scenario as you could hit the ground running with a viable and fast workflow.
j.
March 19, 2006 11:06AM
Thanks Jon!

Graeme

March 20, 2006 11:47AM
Okay, once more around the Mulberry bush just for me -- please -- shooting HDV at 1080i will work out okay with using Nattress software to output to film? What is needed with respect to hardware (such as up-resing cards, decks, etc.) to be able to deliver to the lab that will strike the 35mm negative?
March 20, 2006 01:01PM
Well, usually film output places use their own stuff to do the filmout - best speak to the one you want to use for their specs.

Graeme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics