upgrade/crossgrade

Posted by Zaniac Media 
upgrade/crossgrade
March 08, 2006 08:39AM
Sorry if this is an older topic but I couldn't find an answer.

I'm on FCP 4.5 and started from FCP 3.0 Academic. Looks like you can upgrade to FCP 5 from 3.0 for $699.00 by sending in your original disc. I don't know if Academic is eligible, but I see that FCP 4 Academic IS elegible according to the details on Apple.com. No details out yet for those who started on 3.

I'm on a dual 1Ghz G4 and plan on stepping up to a new G5 in the coming months. If I did buy the upgrage would I then be screwed as far as installing FCP 5 on the new G5 since I have an "upgrade" disc as opposed to the standard full version?

Should I just buy the full version for $1299.00 and stop worrying?

Thanks for your time.

BB
Re: upgrade/crossgrade
March 08, 2006 09:10AM
Buy the full version.

Most likely the upgrade install will ask for the old serial number and will not recognize the v3 serial number as it's part of the academic group and not a retail S/N.

All the best,

Tom
March 08, 2006 09:25AM
If you got the really good deal when Apple went from v3 to v4 and purchased the FCP 4 upgrade that went with v3 Academic you are set! Most people don't know that Apple allowed ONCE for Academic v3 to be upgraded to Full v4 for the standard upgrade price.

I have gone from v3 to v4 and now Studio with no issues of improper serial numbers. You got a new serial number with the v4 FCP upgrade - right?

Then you are golden and for $699.00 you get the entire Studio binaries for Intel or PPC.
March 08, 2006 09:45AM
Two different answers. Well that's why I asked : ). I'm sure I did aquire another serial # after buying FCP 4. I'll have to check into this more with Apple. I just thought I'd ask the 'real' experts first! Thanks.

BB
March 08, 2006 09:51AM
Looks like I can upgrade from my FCP 4 "Upgrade" (from 3.0 Academic) for merely $199.00 according to Apple'sTerms and Conditions -

"You must have purchased Final Cut Pro 4 Retail (M9038Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Upgrade from Final Cut Pro (M9039Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Upgrade from Final Cut Express (M9116Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4
Academic (M9153LL/A), Final Cut Pro HD Retail (M9038Z/B), Final Cut Pro HD Upgrade from Final Cut Pro 1,2,3 (M9039Z/B), Final Cut Pro HD Upgrade from Final Cut Express (M9116Z/B), Final Cut
Pro Academic HD (M9153LL/B) to participate in this program. ? Orders must be postmarked by December 20, 2006, and received by December 29, 2006. ? Qualifying products must be purchased"

I'll stop bugging y'all and call Apple.

Thanks again.

BB
March 08, 2006 08:46PM
John Foley wrote:

> If you got the really good deal when Apple went from v3 to v4
> and purchased the FCP 4 upgrade that went with v3 Academic you
> are set! Most people don't know that Apple allowed ONCE for
> Academic v3 to be upgraded to Full v4 for the standard upgrade
> price.
>
> I have gone from v3 to v4 and now Studio with no issues of
> improper serial numbers. You got a new serial number with the
> v4 FCP upgrade - right?
>
> Then you are golden and for $699.00 you get the entire Studio
> binaries for Intel or PPC.

WRONG
with 4 and 5 you still need to put in the ORIGINAL full version (X.0) serial in
it locked out ALL previous EDU serial numbers

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
March 08, 2006 09:07PM
According the the latest upgrade program for FCP 4 to 5, Academic is apparently okay. At least that's what it says in the terms and conditions that I pasted above from Apple's website.

My version of FCP 4 was an upgrade from 3.0 Academic. It's product code is - (M9039Z/A) which is on the list of allowed upgrades so it seems to me I'm good to go regardless of having started on 3.0 EDU.

I'm going to call Apple and double check before I send off my install disc though. This whole upgrade thing has been confusing from the day 5.0 was released.

BB
March 08, 2006 09:57PM
David,

Not sure why you say WRONG - But! I had a copy of FCP 3 Academic around the time we moved from OS 9 to OSX and when the newest G4 machines could no longer boot into OS9 it became necessary ? for Apple to cut some slack (I guess)

I purchased the V4 upgrade and it took my Version 3 Academic serial number - no problem. That version runs on a second computer and was upgraded to Studio last year. I have recently reloaded it and all it asks for is the 3 serial numbers from Motion 1, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Final Cut Pro 4.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics