Is High Definition just more lines for better resolution? I'm mystified.

Posted by filmman 
Is High Definition just more lines for better resolution? I'm mystified.
March 20, 2006 11:24AM
I've been reading so many articles and discussions over the Internet and here -- is that all there is? Just more lines -- 1440 by 1080 and 1920 by 1080 and voila we have HiDef ? It's a bit more complicated, isn't it? But why complicate it. Can we just say digital video has been improved? The New and Improved HDV or HD.

<<<It's a bit more complicated, isn't it?>>>

Well, you can get rid of interlace, too. That alone should make people jump up and down.

It could also be said that this is a big money-making effort by the government. Make something people "want" (HiDef) and push all the television broadcasters up to new higher channels so the regular ones can be sold at great profit.

Koz
so the regular ones can be sold at great profit.

Come on Koz, you're not telling the whole story. The Broadcasters tried to change the original deal. The Broadcasters tried to keep the channels, not go high def, and use the new channels and frequencies (which they got for free) and use them for a "mini cable" system at NTSC and worse broadcasts. Right now locally I watch channels locally that are worse than vhs on a digital offshoot from their HD license.

Personally I like the HD. I watched the Olypmpics and could actually see the puck.

24 and other movies are GREAT in HD. 'course I bought a 1000 dollar HD projector and have an 8 foot diagonal 16 x 9 aspect screen to watch programming.

I say MORE HD and cheaper, he he.
Re: Is High Definition just more lines for better resolution? I'm mystified.
March 20, 2006 05:22PM
Isn't some sort of HD transmission to be force fed to end users after Feb 2009? That's what I have been reading about in Television Technology.
Agreed it's MPEG-2 and AC3 but it's packet transmission, right?????

The original question was ""Just more lines ?""

There are several HD sort of definitions - You might have heard of 720p and 1080i which are the # of vertical lines of scan, but they also are different pixel width size. 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 pixels. ÎDepending on the actual screen size, the number of pixels is fixed and they get larger to fill out the entire screen.

DO a Google search for HD pixel explainations. It will blow your mind!
March 20, 2006 06:02PM
Koz, HD doesn't loose us interlace. We're stuck with the 1080i60 abomination for the time being. 720p60 is nice though....

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 21, 2006 02:04AM
>Isn't some sort of HD transmission to be force fed to end users after Feb >2009?

It isn't Hi Def that the FCC is forcing on Broadcasters and the public, it's Digital transmission. The problem is that given a certain bandwidth, the broadcasters will be able to send more than one signal at a time, so if a program is in HD then they may only send one siganl, depending on what flavour of HD, but in SD they will be able to send a few signals. Let's have more compression so we can broadcast more wonderful programming:-)
March 21, 2006 08:04AM
""FCC is forcing on Broadcasters and the public, it's Digital transmission""

OK! Technically it's Digital Transmission, but I suppose the format will still be Standard Definition, huh? That's why the latest projection televisions are coming out with 1080p capabilities.

People with analog televisions will need to get a converter box for their television and will see things in the SD 4:3 format, but I believe that the originating signal will be 16:9. The last thing I heard was that the ATSC standards were MPEG-2 and AC3 for transmission.
March 24, 2006 01:12AM
so it's more lines, no interlace, more compression -- that's it -- they changed all that just to make some more money. okay, thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics