Trouble Capturing

Posted by Michael 
Trouble Capturing
May 06, 2005 01:21PM
Hi,

I am having difficulty capturing. I have a Panasonic AG-DV2500 deck and I cant' capture now or batch capture. The deck will batch capture but the footage is out of synch. When I go capture now, I get the spinning ball from Hell! I have tried capturing with DVX 100 and ran into the same problems. I was told the difficulty might be with a virus on my system. I used Virex and did a virus search & clean and the results came back with certain areas of my HD denying access! One thing to note, I mistakenly ordered a RTMAC video card for my G5 1.8 gHz PowerMac. I went into system preferences and turned off the card. Is this the problem? I appreciate your feedback.
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Trouble Capturing
May 06, 2005 03:01PM

<<<I get the spinning ball from Hell!>>>

Strike one. It does that when it can't find enough quality disk space to do the capture. Are your drives filling up?

<<< I used Virex and did a virus search & clean and the results came back with certain areas of my HD denying access!>>>

Strike two. Most virus protection programs cause more propblems than they cure. They insist on carefully inspecting everything entering the computer effectively killing captures.

Do an INFO on all your drives and make sure none of them if over 90% full--including the System Drive.

<<<I mistakenly ordered a RTMAC video card for my G5 1.8 gHz PowerMac. I went into system preferences and turned off the card.>>>

Did you disconnect the card from the system? I'd probably do that unless there's some reason not to.

Have your captures always worked in the past?

Koz
May 07, 2005 10:25AM
It's not a storage problem. I have over 300 gb of LaCie. Regarding a virus, what is a INFO on all my drives? I'm not familiar with that operation. Thirdly, I have disconnected the video card from my systema and shipped back to manufacturer. I have been able to capture now in the past with the camera. I bought this deck and I have never been able to do a capture now. All feedback welcome.

Greg Kozikowski
May 07, 2005 09:31PM

<<<I have over 300 gb of LaCie.>>>

We need to chat. Close everything out to the natural desktop. Double click on the LaCIE drive until it opens up to the first window. Press Apple-I and an Info panel will open up telling you how big the drive is and how much room you have left on it.

Then do the same thing with the System Drive.

It is necessary to have at least 10% or more free space on every drive the system can see.

--Sound out of sync--Spinning Beach Ball of Death--

You have classic symptoms of the machine not being able to find enough elbow room or speed to capture, and it doesn't have to be a problem with the LaCIE. If you run out of room on the System Drive, all sorts of nasty things start happening. Are those the only two drives on the system?

There is also a setting for the number of minutes the system is expecting to capture and it defaults to a really large number. If you're starting to run out of room (on any drive) you might reduce that number. I'm going to fall apart here. I think it's somewhere in the capture preferences.

Koz
May 07, 2005 11:22PM
And turn off Virex and anything Norton's when capturing. Get rid of them, even.
May 08, 2005 10:53PM
For other people reading this thread for answers, Micheal emailed me and said : "That was the problem Thanks!"

smiling smiley
March 29, 2006 08:58AM
I am trying to load vhs onto my FCP 5.0. I have followed everyones preset suggestions but the mac won't read my canon ZR camera (it has before). And the camera is connecting and reading the video from my VCR. It will read my Sony DV camera but the Sony is not reading my VCR. HELP! SPOD is killing me and it only goes away when i pull the firewire cord out of the camera
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics