fcp & old school v intel

Posted by happy snapz 
happy snapz
fcp & old school v intel
March 28, 2006 07:06AM
hi there,
hopefuly this is a simple question.

Now with new intels coming out -

will new versions of FCP run on non intel computers.
If I buy a current g5 am I *#@!@!#* upset with a new media manager upgrade in fcp 6?

many thanks from a prospective upgrader

happy snapz
Re: fcp & old school v intel
March 28, 2006 09:22AM
No one can say for sure, but since Apple is shipping dual binaries applications, I think we can be sure they will ship G5 applications for some time to come.

At lease that is what I am counting on and since I just purchased a new G5; but there are ALL those out there that just purchased new G5's and all the ones with older G5 and G4 systems to deal with. I think it will be at least 2-3 yares or more of G5 support.

If not - ther's going to be one big outcry for those of us who purchased G5's this year.
Anonymous User
March 28, 2006 10:13AM
The migration to intel will take a long time. Do you honestly think Apple will come out with a V6 FCP that runs on intel only when hardly anyone has an Intel Mac?

I would guess the next version will run on both intel and ppc. And BTW, the current version of FCP runs just fine on an intel Mac in Rosetta contrary to popular belief.

DH
March 28, 2006 11:58AM
Hi all.

Michael, you said, "And BTW, the current version of FCP runs just fine on an Intel Mac in Rosetta contrary to popular belief."

This is interesting. Here is a URL to a page on Apple's website:

[www.apple.com]

Here is an excerpt from the text on that page:

Pro applications from Apple ? including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Shake and Final Cut Express ? are not supported by Rosetta.

So, you are saying that you personally ran FCP 4.5 HD or FCP 5 on an Intel Mac and it worked well? Did you test all of the features in FCP 5 against Rosetta? Has anyone?

The reason I ask these questions is because I have FCP 4.5 HD, but I was thinking of upgrading to FCP 5 Universal. However, I read in an Internet article that FCP Universal on an Intel Mac had some performance problems and did not match the performance of regular FCP 5 running on a G5.

Obviously, if I am upgrading to FCP 5, it makes sense to upgrade to FCP 5 Universal, and not regular FCP 5, or does it? Both on a G5 Mac and an Intel Mac, has anyone compared FCP 5 vs. FCP 5 Universal? Any differences or quirks?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

-DH
Anonymous User
March 28, 2006 12:15PM
Brad Wright showed it at the lafcpug meeting last week. He ran 1080i on it without a hiccup on a Macbook Pro. He did not use a UB version cause there isn't a UB version yet. Did we test all the features? No. That would take days.

DH
March 28, 2006 12:46PM
Hi all.

Thanks Michael. That's good enough for me.

I asked because Apple is currently running an upgrade special where you can upgrade from FCP 4.5 HD to Final Cut Studio Universal for $199. This is beyond a steal ;-)

Thanks again.

-DH
Anonymous User
March 28, 2006 01:34PM
Absolutley and if you have FCP 4x then you're nuts not to do it.

And if you originally weren't able to upgrade from Final Cut Educational versoin, then you are really really nuts not to do.

I think the upgrades are good till December though. So I'm going to wait a month or too, then stop being nuts, and jump on it.

Just curious, End of March, has any copies of the Universal version shipped yet? I assume no, but thought I'd ask.

Greg
March 29, 2006 10:03AM
Out of curiosity is FCP 6 due out? If so any idea what new features it offers?
No not yet. Some people are hopeful that we'll see something new announced at NAB, as that's been the norm for the last few years. But you never know as Apple is always shaking things up, and doesn't like to be predictable.

So no announcements yet, but a lot of anticipation, and hoping. Especially with the change to the intel architecture. People are very anxious to see how new versions and the new hardware may or may not play together.

Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics