A new "dropped frames" situation

Posted by Mac Caudill 
A new "dropped frames" situation
December 10, 2004 11:54AM
Dear LAFCPUG, I've had smooth sailing with my system for years...but now I'm encountering dropped frames during capture. In Log & Capture, video plays perfectly fine in the preview. Plus the tapes have been captured before so I know they have solid TC. However, I continually get "timecode break" messages within the first few seconds of capture, even when using Capture Now. This is a first. Capture Now usually saves the day. Anyway, I tried capturing different sections of the tape, tried different settings in User Preferences, etc. No luck. Just to experiment, I tried capturing in iMovie. Same problem. I'm starting to wonder if it might be my playback device (Canon GL-1 camera). But it plays back smoothly with no visible jumps in the TC numbers, plus the video plays smoothly in the Log & Capture preview. The only other variable is the Firewire Cable, but I assume it's okay because video is making its way into FCP, it's just not capturing. If it can play in the preview, it should be able to capture, right? Before I ship my camera off to Canon, has anyone encountered such a problem? Thanks for any advice you might have.
Greg Kozikowski
Re: A new "dropped frames" situation
December 10, 2004 12:12PM

<<<smooth sailing with my system for years...but now I'm encountering dropped frames during capture.>>>

Old news....I hope.

This almost always means your hard drives are filling up. Do an INFO on **all** your drives and make sure none of them is over 90% full.

Don't leave out the System Drive.

Koz
December 10, 2004 03:07PM
What Koz said, plus CLEAN THE CAMERA HEAD! I was getting these breaks form a known good tape on my DECK and a cleaning did the trick.

Then look at getting a DV deck like a DSR-11, and be good to your camera.

- Loren
Today's FCP HD 4.5 keytip:
Select items and Shift-D to Make Offline!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
Mac
Re: no luck
December 10, 2004 04:21PM
My drives all have available space...I've cleaned my camera heads several times. I DID however start having these problems when I upgraded to FCP 4. The default capture pre-set displayed "DSR-900" so I made a copy and switched it to "Canon DV" but it didn't help. Also, the default displayed "DV - NTSC" (which is the setting I used in FCP 3), however when I copied the capture pre-set, "DV - NTSC" was not available, only "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC." Could my problem be due to incorrect capture settings? Thanks again!
Greg Kozikowski
December 10, 2004 07:28PM

<<<My drives all have available space>>>

We need you to do five minutes on those drives. What kind? Where? Don't leave any out. Every time Apple upgrades either the system or the program, borderline systems (which worked last week) fall slightly below the minimum acceptable level and appear erratic or unstable. They may have been unstable for years, but worked enough to pass.

Apple may have revoked your pass.

Koz
March 30, 2006 05:45PM
apologies to all who received the junk mail from this post.
i'm now locking it.

Nick Meyers,
Lafcpug Moderator

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics