SCSI vs. SATA

Posted by TV Terry 
SCSI vs. SATA
March 29, 2006 05:43AM
I'm planning on buying a new internal drive for my G4. Currently I have three small scsi drives and was wondering if I need to stay with the scsi drives or can I go to the much cheaper (and larger) SATA drives without affecting performance?
Thanks in advance for any input....this forum is a great wealth of info!
Re: SCSI vs. SATA
March 29, 2006 07:36AM
You'd need a SATA card for teh G4 as it doesn't natively support SATA. The internal drives in a G4 are usually IDE. I've put an IDE card in a G4 before and filled it with cheap IDE drives and it worked great.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 29, 2006 08:11AM
So are there any performance differences between the IDE and SCSI drives?
What about just an ATA drive?
bj
March 29, 2006 09:55AM
I have 5 internal IDE HD in my G-4 933.
Three are set up as a raid and work using a tempo ata 133 card.
They are the run of the mill Maxtor 160GB drives, had for almost 3 years and not a problem.

BJ
March 29, 2006 11:24AM
IDE is just another name for ATA. Performance - no real difference.

Graeme

March 29, 2006 11:43AM
The most common difference between SATA and SCSI is cost per MB. SATA being commodity drives are up to 500 GB where as SCSI is still only up to maybe 200 GB at an astromical cost per MB.

SATA downside is when writing to the drive(s) when over 2/3 filled, the transfer speds drops to one-half the empty speed.
March 29, 2006 12:28PM
SCSI drives are not immune from slowdown as they fill either....

Graeme

March 29, 2006 02:19PM
I remember when SCSI drives were required for FCP. When I had SCSI drives and FCP 1, I never dropped frames. ;-)

SCSI rocks, it's just too expensive.

If anyone wants to purchase Seagate Barracudas with 36 GB of raw SCSI power (enough to online a show), contact me off list. ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
March 29, 2006 05:26PM
SCSI is better for handling large file sizes which is why they have been used in video at the top end for so long.

IDE/ATA/SATA are better with small files.

But...

Cost saving and performance for SATA RAIDs mostly outweigh the SCSI options and therefore are your best option.

SCSI still rocks but is just not getting cheap enough for mass uptake.

Post Edited (03-29-06 15:27)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 30, 2006 07:47AM
I have external SATA's which work very well and they are cost effective. You can easily stripe as many as 8 drives and gain plenty of speed. Had a 3 drive unit (1.5tb) that I used for uncompressed SD with no problems at all. Guess it depends on your needs. If you think you'll need more than 400 or 500mbs then maybe it's worth the cost to invest in SCSI or Fiber channel. Otherwise keep your money in your pocket, the drives will be outdated and virtually useless in a couple of years anyway.

I bought my 500g hitachi drives at Zipzoomlfy.com then got the enclosure and card at MacGurus.com.
March 30, 2006 07:02PM
<<If anyone wants to purchase Seagate Barracudas with 36 GB of raw SCSI power (enough to online a show), contact me off list. ;-)>>

Haha I have a a set of those here at home. They used to be in my blue & white G3. Every now again I come up with some creative idea to put them to good use, but it never seems worth the effort.

- Justin Barham -
March 30, 2006 07:57PM
I found an interesting SATA swapable (4) drive enclosure ...
[www.addonics.com]

Do any of you have caveats with installing a SATA controller in an expansion slot, and using a port multiplier?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics