Sequence settings of a 3rd Kind

Posted by J.Corbett 
when working with a project with multiple sequences in fcp5, do you have to separate the sequences into their own separate project in order to work.
like if i had; seq.1 24p 30i / seq.2 dv ntsc / seq.3 hd all of these to be part of the final edit.
in some cases i am slicing interviews to be edited into one final sequence and in other cases i am pulling fill clips(hd) to be added to these interviews.
i also concerned with efficiency factor, i have an old dual 1.8 2.5ram.

q1. do i have to separate the sequences into their own project because of the difference codecs?

q2. will i still have the quick draw freedom to move thru the sources if i dont?

q3. is codec the correct word for the incoming , in sequence , and conversion settings or are there separate words for each?( it would help my professionalism if i were sure)

i hope you give me a little amnesty for the last question.

PRE-THANX
Re: Sequence settings of a 3rd Kind
April 04, 2006 02:16PM
Wow. Well, I will say that if I ever got a project that required using sources of varying types such as DV, HDV, DVCPRO HD and betaSP (for example), I would first determine what my final destination will be. Will it be DVD, BetaSP, DV, HD.
Then I would capture ALL MY MATERIAL at the same resolution...same codec. This way I could mix and edit them together no problem, for they are all the same.

Your situation seems very...messy to me. And while you don't need separate projects for the varying footage types, it might help to have separate projects so that you can keep things organized. If I were at the point you were now, that is what I'd do.

The problem is that when you want to consolidate the cut....put everything together, you will have a LOT of rendering to do. And taking some B-Roll that is HDV to drop into an interview shot DV...requires rendering and possibly resizing.
Re: Sequence settings of a 3rd Kind
April 04, 2006 02:48PM
I'm with Shane. Pick one codec for the offline so that you avoid the rendering bloodbath. At the online stage, you can pick the highest codec available to capture all your footage.

> q3. is codec the correct word for the incoming , in sequence , and conversion
> settings or are there separate words for each?( it would help my
> professionalism if i were sure)

Codec is just one aspect of it. You also have to consider frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, frame size, field dominance. Frame rate is the one I'd worry about the most, since you have 24p, 29.97fps DV NTSC and HD (HDCam?) at the same time.

But what do you mean by "24p 30i"? 24p means 24fps progressive, 30i means 30fps interlaced. Your footage can't be interlaced AND progressive at the same time.
the hd is from some sony hd cams all the same but not sure of the model.

the dv and 24p is with my NEW dvx 100b. here lies the beginning of the problem. i shot some stuff in 24p. on the menu is 30p not 30i(mistake) i was gonna shot a band in a bar in that 30p to see if its better. although after thinking about the work flow is slowly changing my mind.

meanwhile, the stuff i shot in 24p cam out pretty good so i want to use it. and since it was so good i want to do some of this in 24p, and some in dv. the hd footage is coming from oklahoma where the camera crew insist that this is the best format for what they are trying to achieve.

the final format will be dvd5. till a better suggestion comes along for consumer viewing.

q. what would be the best capture setting for this knowing that i will be including .motn ( i was gonna use the animation codec to get higher quality text from motion) and photos?

q. other than an ulcer what am i really looking at with this project and how can i make it easiest?

its my largest project to date.

Pre-Thanx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics