Trying to capture sound through minijack on Mac.

Posted by harry323 
Trying to capture sound through minijack on Mac.
April 10, 2006 03:17PM
Has anyone managed to capture sound into FCP using the minijack input? I was told that if you set all your setting to Mac "Internal input" it would work, but so far no luck.

Any advice please?

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Anonymous User
Re: Trying to capture sound through minijack on Mac.
April 10, 2006 03:58PM
No. Where is this audio coming from? Is it on DAT?

April 10, 2006 04:17PM
I use a free stand-alone audio program call "Audacity" if for no other good reason to tell me if the audio service is working. Audacity has a great audio meter.

You need to set the Mac System Settings so your default audio input is the audo connector and not the default audio which is the built-in micrphone.

You plug your microphone into your mixer or other mic booster or Mic Pre and then the boosted audio is plugged into the mini connector.

I've done this many times and it works just fine.

You can't leave out any setps, tho. The connector is not microphone level, it's much higher line level.

After you get the analog, line level sound into Audacity, you can close it and open Final Cut and struggle with its settings secure in the knowledge that the rest of your setup works.

Koz
April 10, 2006 04:27PM
How are you inputting the mic? Through an iMic? That is what I use with my powerbook.
April 10, 2006 04:36PM
when i first started on FCP i was inputting sounds from a DAT suing the computer's mini jack input.

check yours really IS an input.
some computers only have one mini-jack socket, and that's for headphones.

you have to set you System Preferences / Audio to read the mic input, too.

oh, you've done that...

well then you need to create a new capture pre-set that's set to get audio from the "built in" audio,
and you'll need to set device control to "Uncontrollable Device" in the log and capture windows.

cheers,
nck

April 10, 2006 04:39PM
I agree. I am pretty sure that the G5's did not have an analog audio in. There are two mini plugs. A line level out and a headphone out. The only input is Optical. I aways run my mic trough a mixer and from the mixer into a line level input (DV deck, AJA i/O, ect.)

I also have a niftly little USB mic that is good for scratch tracks.

-Rick
April 10, 2006 04:48PM
The source audio is the Canon H1. I'm thinking I might just take the sound out via firewire.

Thanks for your assistance.

Best wishes

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
April 10, 2006 10:58PM
not a bad idea, considering you'll get better quality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics