most reliable dvd burner

Posted by Mike 
Mike
most reliable dvd burner
February 25, 2006 12:57AM
I have a g5 and the burner died a long time ago. 2 of my friends who own g5s had their burners go kaput - one of my g5s at work went kaput, what is with these crappy drives ? Do you guys see this problem? We have a Lacie external FW400 burner at work thats been chugging along but its been acting funny lately. What is the most reliable burner out there? Is it worth it to even invest with blu-ray around the doorstep?
Re: most reliable dvd burner
February 25, 2006 06:29AM
That is very interesting. I have a 4 year old G4 with it's original 2x A04 DVD burner still working and I have had one DVD (A05) Firewire burner go "funny" on me. I replaced it with a A09 Pioneer and it's all peachy.

The latest 110D from Pioneer can be had some days for $45.00 so replacing it every year shouldn'e be a big thing. You must burn a LOT of media with your DVD burners.

As for the BluRay and HD-DVD; we don't even know yet when they will appear and most likely, just as the original Superdrive was, it will probable cost $999.00.
February 25, 2006 09:25AM
Mike,

We run about four or five of the multiple burner "towers" which use the same drives as in your g-5. We use them very heavily and yes, we lose drives much more often than I'd like. I'm not surprised yours died.

These drives are now so cheap it's not worth waiting for blu-ray if you need it now. Just replace it.

mark
Mike
February 25, 2006 03:17PM
Good idea, can I use any internal burner on the g5 and is it easy to replace? looks like it just slides out like the sata drives.
April 12, 2006 12:12AM
Hey Mark-

are the towers you have the standalones? or connected to your macs? I'm trying to get two g4's w/ two burners apiece to do simultaneous burns w/ dragon burn and i wondered if you had any thoughts

Thanks
Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics