EMERGENCY!! On location, forgot to bring filter

Posted by John K 
EMERGENCY!! On location, forgot to bring filter
March 09, 2006 04:13PM
Hey all,

Does anyone have a copy of that free plug-in from the FCP 3 upgrade, CGM Film LE?

I'm on the road with a project that I used the filter on, FORGOT to load the filter into my laptop FCP. The job won't render. HELP, Please! I only have 2 hours til it plays! (7PM EST, it's 5PM now)

If you have it, please email it to lefty1at mac.com. You'll be my hero, and I'll owe you a drink or two after the next LAFCPUG!!

John Knowles
Re: EMERGENCY!! On location, forgot to bring filter
March 09, 2006 04:43PM
i like corona smiling smiley

nick

March 09, 2006 05:15PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Nick Meyers. The Greatest Human Being in My World.

Corona? Hell, I would buy you a Tecate. Dos Equix even!

(thanks Nick. really appreciate it)
March 09, 2006 08:38PM
This brings up an interesting question -- I've never had to install any plugins to another station before using a 3rd-party filter. I've had editors hand me clips with Too Much Too Soon transitions and filters on them, and without downloading the TMTS package back then, or putting anything new into my FCP plugins folder, my timelines ran just fine. Perhaps it depends on what line of plugins?
March 09, 2006 10:27PM
glad to help out, John smiling smiley

Derek,
yes, i've noticed that, too, on occasion.

interesting.
it's good for editors,
but i guess the developers would rather the plugin had to bought again.

that CGM Filmlook LE has options for scratches and lines,
so maybe you need to have it installed for those?

there seem to be different ways to write plugnis for FCP.
the AE ones can even look different and get installed in different places, from memory.
i only ever toyed around with demo ones, so i cant offer much info.
but i remember the Buena demo, once it had run out, caused me some amount of trouble, and i had to delete all instances of them from my system.

cheers,
nick

March 10, 2006 12:14AM
There was another filter I forgot, one from the 55mm set. FCP really hated that it was missing, would not let me render or export (big red offline 'Missing Plug-in' message). But it wasn't really needed so I ditched it. FCP was flakey without the CGM Film LE installed, but I did get a preview of the final effect...
March 10, 2006 10:31AM
Jeez, John...did you remember your laptop? winking smiley (j/k)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 10, 2006 10:35AM
Derek wrote:
I've never had to install any plugins to another station before using a 3rd-party filter. I've had editors hand me clips with Too Much Too Soon transitions and filters on them, and without downloading the TMTS package back then, or putting anything new into my FCP plugins folder, my timelines ran just fine. Perhaps it depends on what line of plugins?

Derek,

Those plugs probably worked because the transitions/filters were already rendered ..and the render files were still on the disk. If you did anything to "unrender" those effects - the transitions would vanish when you tried to create a new transition or re-render them. Andy
March 10, 2006 11:08AM
> Those plugs probably worked because the transitions/filters were already
> rendered ..and the render files were still on the disk. If you did anything to
> "unrender" those effects - the transitions would vanish when you tried to
> create a new transition or re-render them. Andy

That's a good suggestion, Andy, and I've seen that happen (lost clips that remain playable in the timeline because of render files, then disappear the minute you change something). But that's not the case in the scenario I was describing. On the projects I took over as Chief Editor of the show, I moved the effects off the original cut constantly, and poor file management on those projects always meant that I did have to reorganize the files, reconnect media, and ditch the render files. I did not have a problem re-rendering those effects. In fact, I took the Wind Blur Cross effect and used it on my station for the duration of the show before downloading my own copy -- all the while with my Plugins folder devoid of that effect. As recently as two weeks ago, I used Digital Heaven's DH Box on four spots, which were then sent to Atlanta for an online. I didn't include the plugin files in the delivery; I merely included fonts, project files, media, graphics etc., and I didn't get any complaints from the online editor.

It probably does depend on the effect. John's above experience obviously means that the CGM package doesn't play by the same rules.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics