How does one save a piece of the VIEW window sound and use it as AMBIENT SOUND?

Posted by filmman 
How does one save a piece of the VIEW window sound and use it as AMBIENT SOUND?
April 14, 2006 02:42PM
I'd like to be able to highlight a section of the sound track in the VIEW window and save it as AMBIENT SOUND so I can use it as FILL in the timeline. Is there a way of doing that without touching the sound track in the timeline? Because when I set an in and out points in the VIEW WINDOW, the soundtrack in the TIMELINE becomes reduced to almost nothing. I know I can do an in and out in the TIMELINE and export it to SOUNDTRACK PRO, then re-import it back into my project, but that takes too long. There must be a way I can do it in FCP5. Thanks for helping me with this point. I've posed this question before - regarding the AMBIENT sound or ROOM TONE, but I didn't get an answer with respect to how to do it in the VIEW WINDOW... or in the TIMELINE. There has to be a elegant way to do it.
Re: How does one save a piece of the VIEW window sound and use it as AMBIENT SOUND?
April 14, 2006 03:01PM
> when I set an in and out points in the VIEW WINDOW, the soundtrack in the
> TIMELINE becomes reduced to almost nothing.

Use Match Frame to call up the piece instead of double-clicking it. Double-clicking on a piece in the timeline means when you input new In and Out points on the piece in the Viewer, the changes get applied to that particular piece.
Another way to isolate ambience is to blade it right from the Timeline and drag the segment to your Browser and rename it. Then remove the match frame cuts from the Timeline-- the're unsightly.

And you realize you can overwrite any undesired sound with an ambience segment you copy in the Timeline, using simple Copy/Paste? Assuming you make no changes to AutoSelect it'll paste right back into the track you copied from, wherever your Playhead is parked. Very handy for rapid UM and AH filler. I use this action with Waveforms On.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics