FCP/QT export quality

Posted by r.daniel 
FCP/QT export quality
April 17, 2006 07:24PM
I've exported a sequence as a FCP/QT self-contained movie. Exported it with the current settings of my sequence - DV/DVPRO/NTSC. When I re-import this - does this equal the quality of the original file? My guess is, that it does since it's all digital.

ALSO: If I had exported this as uncompressed 8-bit, would this have been of a higher quality?

Thanks very much,

RD
Re: FCP/QT export quality
April 17, 2006 09:15PM

Self Contained Movie with Current Settings is as good as you can do. That's a straight sideways export neither gaining nor losing data.

Most things you do to "help out" will add distortion by making Final Cut "convert" to a different format.

The only way to increase the quality is start with higher quallity clips.

There is a way to convert to uncompressed at the beginning of a project to make special effects and other processes far less damaging, but that's the only time converting after the fact adds anything to the show, and that's also assuming you didn't start with top qualilty at the beginning.

Koz

Re: FCP/QT export quality
April 18, 2006 05:22AM
If you have not graded or changed the format or added transitions etc etc then the file will have the same quality of media that you brought in from the camera.

Besides it takes quite a bit of messing about before most people notice "digital multigeneration loss" and less so on NTSC DV than on PAL DV.

It's all about colour sampling.

If you want to understand more about it read here: [www.adamwilt.com]

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics