Gaussian blur spread

Posted by r.daniel 
Gaussian blur spread
April 20, 2006 11:00PM
I'm using lots of g blur in a theater projection design, which is then slowly pulled into focus over long periods. I get a spreading effect, sometimes rings that spread out. I notice this in FCP, and also more so on QT uncompressed movie export. I can't get around that export option. No choice.

Any solutions?

Thanks v. much,

RD
Re: Gaussian blur spread
April 21, 2006 07:04AM
8-bit gradiation I guess some colours & luminances don't gradiate very well.

Try adjusting the levels of the colours of the design sometimes this helps.

Try applying the filter and rerendering the sequence as 10bit.

Or don't blur quite so much - see if you can live with 20 to 30 max on the Gaussian blur filter rather than I expect the 50+ you are using.

or if you have After Effects load the no FX sequence into AE and use a 16-bit project to do the Gaussian blur and export that back to 8-bit which will (or at least it should) produce a much better albeit dithered and ringless version.

Grafixjoe might also have another workaround - maybe he will post an answer for you too.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 21, 2006 10:43AM
Try adding a little noise or grain, this what we do in high def digital still photography.

Derek
April 21, 2006 10:56AM
I might try that one myself - do you mean adding the grain through/under the filter/transition or on top?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 21, 2006 01:48PM
If your footage is shot on DV/DVCAM, you're up the creek without a paddle, because of the 4:1:1 processing. If you shot on BETA or DVCPRO50, you'll be much better off. Do this: When making a new sequence, make it DVCPRO50 or ANIMATION. This way you're using a better quality SEQUENCE, which should cancel out the 'banding' problems caused by 8-bit processing (You could even go UNCOMPRESSED)... As an aside, what I often do to save time is to reduce the quality of my sequence (In settings) to 50%, do the edit so I'm happy, then cut/paste the timeline into a HI-REZ timeline and trash the render files, causing FCP to re-render the new timeline... make sense??

Hope it helps..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics