.mov won't play video

Posted by bernardojv 
.mov won't play video
April 18, 2006 08:15AM
Hi

I got a .mov file of 3min movie that plays just audio and no video.

When I try to open it in QT player, an alert appears saying I got to download some components in order to play the file; and it directs me to

[www.apple.com]

a list of several components, none of which, judging by their descriptions, I think I need.

The .mov could be the culprit, but excluding that possibility, what could I do to play the file? Is there a software out there that scans a media file and gives a list of codecs needed to play the file (something like GSpot for windows, a video codec identification utility)?

Re: .mov won't play video
April 18, 2006 08:34AM
Try playing it in VLC

[www.videolan.org]

If it plays in VLC, get the info (command+i) and see what CODEC it uses and then search google for a CODEC available for QT.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 18, 2006 02:56PM
A lot of files out there have uncommon codecs that Quicktime attempts to open but can't play back. Ben is right, VLC is a good alternative. You could also try MPlayer.

JK
April 18, 2006 03:45PM
Ben,

thanks for the tip. I had opened it with VLC (played audio and no video), but had not thought of getting the Info.

John,

MPlayer was of no help, but thanks; one more player that I can have as an option.

OK, I've found out that it is encoded in AVdv, or Avid Dv codec. The problem now is finding where to download this codec. I've searched a lot, couldn't find anything.

Anyone knows if I can download this for QT, and where?
April 18, 2006 05:56PM
Yes although its rather convoluted...

Basically Avid have never released the AvidDV CODEC as a stand alone download & installer.

But!

Download Avid FreeDV from here: [www.avid.com]

And the installer will add the CODEC to quicktime automatically - this will enable you to play, imort and Export Avid DV encoded material.

I have run Avid Free DV on the same suite as FCP with no problems for the odd occasion that someone has used Avid FreeDV.

Hope this helps

Ben

Post Edited (04-23-06 14:33)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 23, 2006 09:34PM
Ben,

I didn't download Avid freeDV with the fear of incopatibility issues, though you mention you never had any problems. Since I got the video I was trying to import on a mini-dv, and finished the project, I thought it was better not to install a program I didn't need. But the lesson was learned, and I'll be sure to get Avid freeDV if I get another one of these files.

Btw, just out of curiosity, what's the workflow? You use Avid to open the file, and then what? How do you export it so you can work on FCP?
April 23, 2006 09:59PM
Once you install Avid Free DV the Avid DV CODEC is then available to Quicktime so its a simple matter of exporting from Quicktime Pro or Compressor as the CODEC of your choosing - most likely Apple DV NTSC

It really doesn't cause any problems installing and you could always get rid of AFDV and keep a copy of the CODEC.

Post Edited (04-23-06 20:00)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics