Person appear in black and white

Posted by Peter Hall 
Person appear in black and white
April 23, 2006 09:49AM
I wish to film a person either walking and standing still to camera with static and moving backgrounds.
How do I make that person appear in black and white and maintain a colour background, please?

Thank You
Re: Person appear in black and white
April 23, 2006 10:20AM
You can shoot the person against a green/blue screen, then key out his background. Otherwise you'll have to use a garbage matte to cut out the guy and turn him black and white, plus motion tracking. Not a Final Cut Pro specialty.
April 23, 2006 12:16PM
Derek -

I think FCP will do this, but Peter threw in an additional layer of complexity by asking to make the subject be B&W.

I have had excellent luck using FCP's built in Keyers (Chroma and Color under Video Filters>Key). if you change the image to B&W, then we no longer have a green or blue screen, we have a grey screen.

My approach might be to try using two or three copies of the clip... do the chroma key replacement on the one clip... make a mask of just the subject on another clip, then make the subject be B&W on the third clip...

And try to layer them together in the right order to work.

Is this (or not) related to the Pleasantville effect referred to here from time to time? smiling smiley

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
April 23, 2006 03:44PM
> I have had excellent luck using FCP's built in Keyers (Chroma and Color
> under Video Filters>Key). if you change the image to B&W, then we no
> longer have a green or blue screen, we have a grey screen.

He can probably use an inverted Color Corrector - Limit Effect to target everything *but* the green for desaturation, then key out the green.
April 24, 2006 02:27PM
Re my subject question - thanks to all who repolied - I will try out the suggestions.
Thank you
Peter Hall

Thank You
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics