Resumes?

Posted by chaar 
Resumes?
April 25, 2006 02:46AM
Hey guys. I may have a shot at getting a job to do some freelance video editing work for some people.. they just mentioned that they want FCP editors..

So how do i go about writing to them? Any advice for a 19yr old nooB?

[We're not your typical Production House, in fact, we would prefer ourselves to be called a "Project Studio". We've got a whole range of services that can help you formulate solutions for your marketing / communication tasks. You won't need every service, obviously - every project has unique needs and demands specific results. What's your project about? Do you need a particular craft? Or would you like us to handle it all the way from 'blank slate' to 'polished gem'?

So who are we looking for? Someone with a keen sense of visual, and a good eye. You need to know how to use FCP but not necessarily have YEARS of experience because we believe in grooming talent.

For interested candidates or aspiring FCP editors, please email your resume and showreel to xxxxx]

What do you think of my current draft?

"
Dear Sir/Madam

I am proficient in using FCP, and am fully armed with a Quad Core Power Mac G5, along with the Final cut studio pack, along with a few digital video cameras. I am very interested to be part of your team and to get some work experience in videography and editing.

I have attached my resume. I am still in the process of compiling my video works onto a dvd for potential employers, so it may take a week for me to actually send you examples of my work.

Sincerely
Charles
The 'friendly' neighbourhood videographer"

should i mention more about my ability to storm through work quickly etc?
Re: Resumes?
April 25, 2006 04:22AM
Hi Charles, do you have any broadcast experience? I know thats the question every young editor hates but if you do list it with dates. If not, list the work you have done. A single page will do as employers are usually able to make a decision on just a couple of paragraphs. In just a few words tell them you are the man. The fight is on Charles and without discouraging you it takes an average of five years to put yourself on the map. Take any job paid/unpaid to get that experience. Software knowledge is only part of it - the language of broadcast video and cutting and finishing are crucial...good luck mate. Phil UK.
April 25, 2006 08:22AM
Hi Phil..

Errrr... No.

Lolz.
April 25, 2006 09:15AM
Have you worked with any recognizable "names" (corporate clients, products, worked aired on local tv stations)? List those if possible.

You might list the types of work you've done even if you don't have "names." Have you learned various types of work in school such as editing:
News Packages
Training Videos
Marketing Videos
30 second TV Commercials
Documentary work (and there many styles and skills - editing on camera interviews, cutting to voice overs, cuting to fx, use of B-Roll, use of stills)
Editing Weddings and Events
Mutlicamera Editing (performances for example)
Music Videos (cutting to music)
Theatrical editing (I suspect this what too many schools focus on - making a "movie" and yet this is not a likely job to find for a beginner).

If you've done any of this, even just in school or personal projects, show it in your demo reel. Keep demo reel to five minutes or so and focus on showing the skills needed for the particular job (and don't be afraid to ask to see their website and demos for the kind of work THEY do).
April 25, 2006 10:42AM
Broadcast experience is a tricky thing -- they want you already experienced, and if they won't hire you without that experience, how would you get that experience?

But samples, reels and prior experience do much, much more than software knowledge. Software and computer skills are just words on a page, unless you're applying for a tech job. I know the floodgates opened when a company hired me to do a commercial when I didn't have prior commercial experience. But they could see from my narrative film reel (my true background) that I had good timing, sense of tone, and diversity of experience, so they figured rightly that I could handle commercials just fine. And once you do one, it's much easier to get more jobs in that field.

So hook up with some talented filmmakers (and don't just edit your own stuff -- the bulk of my editing I learned when working on other people's films), build up a reel, build a reputation, form some friendships and partnerships, and just work your craft. True craft is obvious to those who know how to look at a piece. And diversify, diversify, diversify.
April 25, 2006 12:39PM
Hey derek i here you and agree completely. Im a junior editor about a year old in tv commercial industry. I still find my self strugglying with emotion and feel during cutting sometimes and there are times when everything just falls in place, i wish i could be more constant with my emotion and feel to my edits. Things like when to cut and which shots to choose... i do believe this comes to an editor with lots of practice and experience and that these are the things that cant be teached but is there a forum or place we can speak of concept and feel of cutting film or Tvcs? Perhaps it can help in the better understanding of cutting concepts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics