my AVI files are crapping out on me.. help

Posted by rgdfilms 
my AVI files are crapping out on me.. help
April 24, 2006 08:12PM
Hey guys

I have 34 CD-Rs from an old movie I made six years ago, I edited on Premiere back then, using Pinnacle's DC30 PRO capture card and miroINstant Video codec. MJPEG compression - The files are not working on my mac, quicktime shows the video as WHITE while the audio plays, compressor won't convert them, cleaner won't convert them, MPEG Streamclip craps out, the only thing that actually lets me see these files is the VLC player - I really would like to bring these files into FCP so I can manipulate them,

i ran a search on google for the codec but to no avail.. any suggestions besides getting an old PC and re-doing this?

Thanks
Re: my AVI files are crapping out on me.. help
April 24, 2006 09:34PM
When I get a movie that I can't see in Quicktime weather it be a white screen or another issue I use DivX and i'm trying, but I can't remember any instance where a "good" or "non-corrupted" movie didn't play on Quicktime or DivX.

I believe DivX can convert also?!?!

Good Luck

Sean
April 25, 2006 09:20AM
Plugins that might help you play AVI (which is just a container so may have any number of formats) - DivX, 3ivX, Flip4Mac, Quicktime by itself (obviously not in this case).

When you open the file in Quicktime use File/Show Movie Info to see what codec might be inside the avi.

Also use WMP9Mac and use File/Get Info.

If you have a PC use File/Properties.

Knowing what codec is inside will help you figure out what you need to play it back.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
April 25, 2006 12:33PM
Can't seem to find this codec

I opened it in Quicktime and it says, Motion JPEG OpenDML, 640x480, Millions, 30.02 mbits/sec

this is so frustrating

any ideas?
April 25, 2006 12:56PM
Try using the free Flip4Mac Player.

The problem with all these Quicktime Plugins is that they can conflict too. There's a form of Microsoft motion JPEG that Flip4Mac can play. There are times where Flip4Mac, Quicktime, 3ivx, DivX can "fight" for control of certain types of AVIs too. Flip4Mac has a checkbox to hand control back to Quicktime but 3ivx and DivX you'd have to remove by hand.

I've created a QuicktimeRemoved folder in the Finder Window so I can just drag things in/out as needed.

Make sure you have all the above plugins and I can walk you through the issue. If the file is small enough you can email it to me and I can test it myself.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
April 25, 2006 01:37PM
Thanks alot craig, I will try flip4mac now and see if that works

: ) : )
April 25, 2006 03:49PM
What do you mean by creating a quicktime remove folder and how do you hand control filp4mac?

thanks

i installed flip4mac by the way and the file still won't play, i feel like i'm doing something wrong though..
April 26, 2006 08:18AM
Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime
You'll find the Quicktime Plugins there.
Create folder on desktop and name it Quicktime Removed
Copy the folder to the top of your Finder Window (File/New Finder Window. It'll have something like Back,View, Action, Path on top depending on whether you've modified it before)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics