Recording Voiceover

Posted by hanguolaohu 
Recording Voiceover
May 03, 2006 04:00PM
Hi,

I?ve been recording voiceover using my powerbook G4, FCP HD voiceover tool, Griffin imic adapter connected to a consumer Sony ECM-MS907 mic. I use the FCP voiceover tool as it is more convenient for time slot recording while watching the video compared to Garageband, etc. Unfortunately, my levels seem very low and my voice sounds faint even if I speak loud. I am somewhat tech savvy, but am wondering whether I need a preamp for my mic to boost the levels? The Sony mic has a built-in AA battery inside and when I record to my minidisc recorder the levels seem fine. Is this because the minidisc has a preamp built-in specifically for consumer mics? I also have a Sennheiser ME66/K6 that I could use which is also battery powered. If I need any more equipment, any specific recommendations or setups would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexander
Re: Recording Voiceover
May 03, 2006 04:08PM
are you plugging this sony mic straight into your G4 if so - go to the control panel and adjust the audio select line in and calibrate it there.
that will control the level the audio is coming in at...please let me know if this helps

Arod-

May 03, 2006 04:10PM
No, using this:

[www.griffintechnology.com]

But the older silver model.

A
May 03, 2006 04:34PM
ok - well maybe youw ant to try controlling the "in levels" in the control panel as well..maybe those levels are low.

May 03, 2006 05:46PM
Yeah, I changed the "in levels" to max. I also changed the Audio midi setup to work with the imic. The levels are still not as strong as my minidisc. At this point, I'm curious what equipment setup other users have when recording voice.

Thanks.
May 04, 2006 12:37PM
hanguolaohu wrote:

> No, using this:
>
> [www.griffintechnology.com]
>
> But the older silver model.
>
> A

Here's what you do. Take the iMic, wrap it in a plastic bag, and then throw it in the trash. I have the iMic (the one you link to) and I have done all the adjustments like you have stated, and the audio comes in WEAK! I have better results with a $30 Radioshack lapel mic.

Is the reason you are using the iMic because of portability or no access to other equipment? Doesn't sound like it from your original post. If a USB mic is what you are after, you can try the Snowball from Blue Mic.

[www.lafcpug.org]

[www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics