High Res Frames

Posted by Lisa Imbruglia 
High Res Frames
May 07, 2006 07:12AM
Hi there,
If in making an animated movie I am importing high resolution frames of say 5 meg each, what size do I need to compress them to so that FCP can handle it.

I run FCP 5 on G5 dual 2 Ghz processor with 1 gb ram and 10.4.4. With Maxtor 6Y160MO serial aTA Bus. . Also have access to 5.1 on intel G5 iMac.

Thanks. Have given as much info as I've been given so if there is anything else you need to know just ask and I will chase up further details.

Thanks

Lisa Imbruglia

"Getting from point A to point B can sometimes be direct or sometimes has lots of turns. In the end we still get there even if it takes a bit longer."
Re: High Res Frames
May 07, 2006 09:12AM
Do you need to pan or zoom in the frames?
May 07, 2006 10:34AM
> If in making an animated movie I am importing high resolution frames of
> say 5 meg each, what size do I need to compress them to so that FCP can
> handle it.

What is the frame size of the stills right now? Their dpi doesn't matter.

5MB doesn't sound unreasonably large -- are you having trouble with FCP with these stills?
May 07, 2006 12:34PM
MY high res stills (4000x3000) are about 48MB each and I am doing moves on them. My machine handles them OK...a bit of a bear, but it works. 5MB sounds very small..

I have a Dual 2ghz with 3.5GB RAM. I think you are running into a RAM issue. Get more RAM!
May 07, 2006 02:33PM
Hi Lisa,

I find a good rule of thumb for STILLS is to make the maximum size 2000x2000 pixels, no matter what the size of the file is. This seems to enable FCP to handle the pic well. If the resolution is too high (ie. above 2000 pixels), then you start having problems with the look of the final video and also, it takes a long time to work with in FCP. The advice about RAM is good advice, it does help, as will reducing the size of stills...

Go for it...
May 07, 2006 06:15PM
Hey thanks guys. All that info is great.
My friends and I are currently making an animated movie in Maya where we will have to export each frame of the animation and import it into FCP. There will be no movement necessary on individual frames as each frame holds that info already.
I shall take your thoughts back to our TD and director.
I am aware that my ram isn't sufficient but am pretty sure that when it comes to it we will have a render farm.
I see that frame size is probably an important issue so will mention that to our TD and director as well.
I've been enjoying FCP for about 5 years now and wouldn't consider using anything else.
I'll get back to you with any further questions.
Lisa

Lisa Imbruglia

"Getting from point A to point B can sometimes be direct or sometimes has lots of turns. In the end we still get there even if it takes a bit longer."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics