Lost drive

Posted by Aaron Zander 
Lost drive
May 09, 2006 06:09AM
ok, so fallowing a tip from some tutorial somewhere, i disabled read/write on a drive to check that all my media tranfered to another drive for backup

now heres the problem, one thing lead to another and my director, well ejected the drive before i could resotre permissions, now i can't even see the drive (outside of disk utility) to unlock it

any one have any ideas?!

Amateur Teacher
Re: Lost drive
May 09, 2006 10:34AM
If you didn't properly eject the drive but dragging the icon to the trash before turning it off, it could have damaged the data. How did you disable read/write on the drive?
May 09, 2006 11:32AM
Sorry to say...disabling Read/write on the drive was not a smart thing to do. All you had to do to protect your project was to select its folders, press APPLE-I, and lock them.

Unhook all cables, shut down the computer for 15 minutes, then restart the computer and reconnect the drive. See if it comes back on. If not, run System Profiler, Disk Utilities and DiskWarrior -- see if any of them can see the drive.

You're a film student, right? Do you have administrator privileges? If not, ask for a mentor/instructor who does, and see if they can log on as the system administrator. The admin should be able to change those settings back.
May 09, 2006 02:16PM
ok, so befor i shut down here's the deal

1) it's my computer so i am the admin, which is what bugs me!

2) diskutility can see the harddrive, and the content show up if i search, they are just un openable do to the read/write, the disk mounts and everything, there is just no image to click on to get it.

ill post results later im going to sut down

Amateur Teacher
May 09, 2006 02:37PM
ok, ok, so me=not so smart, my general disliking of os help files hindered me, i did a quikc search for read write permission and found out that though you may be the admin on your particalar machine, there is still 1 level up, THE ROOT USER "play space oddesey music here"

to get this, you must be the admin (or logged into the account, every one knows the boss uses his wife's name as the password) go to the utilites folder in applications

open up "Netinfo manager" up at the top of the screan under security, go to "Authenticate" type in your password" then go back to security, go to "enable root user"

once this is done (you may have to create a password set, or enter an already existing password for the root user) and the root user is enabled, log outof your account, you will now see another user available for selection, choose it log in, and you can see everything. "but boss what do you mean everything" "EVERYTHING!!" (sorry i got my tri monthly leon fix 2 nights ago!)

and there you go, go to info ownership and permissions, than details and set all the thing you need to set.

and bam, log out, go abck make sure it works, open up netinfomanager, and disable root user (a very dangerous power goes with the root user, there is nothing that cannot be removed from your computer at this point

Amateur Teacher
May 10, 2006 12:40AM
Don't forget that password you created for Root write it down and don't lose it. Although you can change it with an install disk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics