hollow audio?

Posted by Gregory O'Toole 
hollow audio?
May 11, 2006 08:57PM
anyone know how i can make it?
i am cutting a sequence of a conversation between three people in a motel room. sometimes i want to mix and match audio recorded looking at the subject with audio recorded when the mike was pointing somewhere else, but i want the audio "quality" to match.
so is there anyway i can make good audio sound a little more "hollow." i have lowered the level, but it still has a different "texture" to it.

thanks!
greg
Re: hollow audio?
May 11, 2006 09:19PM
Reverb and eq. however it will be difficult to get it to sound "off mic"
May 11, 2006 10:59PM
Use Sountrack Pro Process>Effects>Reverb>Space Designer. Make it sound like any room you want.

All the best,

Tom
May 11, 2006 11:48PM
> so is there anyway i can make good audio sound a little more "hollow." i
> have lowered the level, but it still has a different "texture" to it.

Is it impossible to do the opposite? Have you already tried to thicken the bad audio?

To thin out proximity audio, you usually want to take down the bass, add a touch of reverb, and increase the highs and high mids. But I don't know how good an idea it is to make your entire scene sound like it's distant and weak.
May 12, 2006 12:03PM
derek
i haven't really tried. i certainly don't intend to make the entire scene sound off mike and weak, but there are some instances in which i want to cut someone else's audio under a shot of someone "listening."
if, however, i did want to thicken the bad stuff -- would i just do the reverse of what you suggested for thinning the proximity audio?

thanks!
greg
May 12, 2006 03:13PM
>if, however, i did want to thicken the bad stuff -- would i just do the reverse of what you suggested for thinning the proximity audio?

It doesn't really work like that! It is easier to take away something that has been recorded in the original signal than it is to try and put something in that isn't there to start with.
May 12, 2006 04:23PM
> It doesn't really work like that! It is easier to take away something that has
> been recorded in the original signal than it is to try and put something in
> that isn't there to start with.

I agree with you on principle, Frank, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't try. There may be a middle ground -- increase bass frequencies of the bad audio while thinning out the good audio a little to match. It's not unreasonable to do everything you can to improve the bad audio before you firebomb the whole scene.

Will the bad audio ever sound like good, cleanly recorded audio? Not too likely. But can it sound better? Oftentimes it can.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics