Capturing too long!

Posted by Enge 
Capturing too long!
March 21, 2006 10:46AM
Hi again, second post today, and I get the feeling there'll be many more to come as we've started to use our system in anger.
Right, a client is at the moment trying to do a rough cut and has logged their material as per the norm, we've then batch captured the clips but FCP has taken it upon itself to give us an extra minute on each clip, but just on the tail. Same thing happens after re-boot. I've also gone and tried it with a clip I captured as the client thought they were going mad! Same thing; anyone else come across this? If so, what's happening?

G5 Quad
FCP 5.04
2 TB x-serve raid
Anonymous User
Re: Capturing too long!
March 21, 2006 10:50AM
Firewire, Capture card? What media? Take us through the steps you are using to capture.

March 21, 2006 11:00AM
Sorry, didn't explain everything.
Capturing from digital betacam off a DVW-A500p deck using AJA Kona card to a 10 bit uncompressed project.
Anonymous User
March 21, 2006 11:07AM
Then that is a AJA issue I'd wager. You'd get a faster answer by posting on the AJA forum over at Creative Cow

[forums.creativecow.net]

March 21, 2006 11:22AM
Thanks, I'll mosey on over to the new pasture!
March 21, 2006 12:15PM
1. Did you log any clips across timecode breaks?

2. Are you adding handles at the capture stage?
March 21, 2006 01:25PM
Hi,

1. No, I hope not (as the tapes are transmission masters)

2. Yes, but only 1 second. These have been added to the clip length at head and tail, this problem is a minute extra just at the tail.
Interestingly, when capturing a clip, the capture window actually says
"time remaining to capture from 001 : 00:00:09:00"
but then it goes off and gives me the extra minute or so...
March 21, 2006 01:38PM
> No, I hope not (as the tapes are transmission masters)

Check.

Timecode breaks are easier to spot at the logging stage. If you capture across a timecode break, the timecode on the resulting clip will be wrong. For example, if your clip In point starts at 01:01:00:00, but there's a TC break at 01:02:00:00 and it jumps to 01:03:00:00, and you put an Out point at 01:05:00:00, you are really trying to capture only three minutes of material, but FCP will do the math between the In and Out points and come up with a Duration of 4:00:00 -- thus capturing one minute too much.

If you're consistently getting exactly one minute of extra material at the end of each logged clip, then it's not likely to be timecode breaks -- it does sound like a capture-card issue, or a wrong setting in FCP somewhere. Give us a list of your capture settings.

> when capturing a clip, the capture window actually says
> "time remaining to capture from 001 : 00:00:09:00"

That message means absolutely nothing. It doesn't update quickly enough as you capture -- it could be a message from five minutes ago.
March 22, 2006 03:43AM
Capture settings window:
Use Logged Clip Settings : checked
Add Handles : checked for 1 second
Capture Preset : AJA Kona3 : 625 25 10 bit uncompressed

The message window thing I don't get. When I said it was telling me there was nine seconds to capture( a seven second clip with one second handles) I had just launched the capture window, so in fact what it was telling me was true, but it still went and gave me an extra minute, seven seconds and eleven frames!
March 22, 2006 04:18PM
Make sure the latest drivers are installed from AJA.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
May 17, 2006 02:54PM
When i do want to capture tapes with real timecode gaps, because the use of real time..lot's of breaks.....how do i do that without losing the reference of the realtime timecodes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics