no audio to be heard in the time line

Posted by maryluker 
no audio to be heard in the time line
May 15, 2006 03:15PM
I'm using powerbookG4, 2G ram, FCP 4.5 In the time line there is no audio to be heard, but the tracks are there. The audio goes out fine to a camera. I have trashed the preferences and turned the FCP on and off several times. This has happened in the past but the above attempts had it working again.
Re: no audio to be heard in the time line
May 15, 2006 04:24PM
Go into the AUDIO/VIDEO settings under the FINAL CUT PRO menu. The last item in the first tab is AUDIO. It is most likely set to FIREWIRE DV. Switch it to Internal Audio.
May 15, 2006 06:30PM

And the ever popular View, External Video, All Frames should be set off to get the internal speakers to work.

Koz

May 15, 2006 07:31PM
Shane Ross thanks soooo much for the directions!!! The sound came back immediately. I never changed anything. So it makes me wonder why it changed, but who cares. It works now and in the future I will know what to do!!!
May 16, 2006 01:57AM

<<<I never changed anything. So it makes me wonder why it changed>>>

Yes you did. You changed something *else* that made those settings impossible to execute, so the system realized that and conveniently changed them for you. Then you did something that required a decision rather than an action, so the settings didn't go back.

That happens to External Video all the time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Macintosh.

Makes the PC people crazy.

Koz

May 16, 2006 10:30AM
You are so funny. So glad it didn't make me go crazy.

What confused me is that I've been editing over a year and had thought I did it the same way. when I went to send it out to the video camera the notice came on that I had to adjust it back. I'm just so glad to know something to do. Biggest game in town I say. Thanks so much
May 16, 2006 03:43PM
Mary,
Actually, and just so you know....

the audio is supposed to come out of the video deck (or in your case) the camcorder. All pro audio is monitored out of the deck.

Your NTSC video monitor should also be connected out of the deck or camcorder as well.

Shane's advice is OK if you are editing in an offline environment (or in a cafe or on the airplane) - but in all honesty, professional editors monitor picture and sound coming exclusively from your deck or camcorder. So the way you had it set up IS correct.

You just haven't connected your video monitor up to the deck/camcorder nor have you attached your studio audio speakers to the deck/camcorder.

You see, a deck/camcorder is for MORE than just capturing and laying back - it is also a transcoding device for viewing external video and monitoring external audio. Makes sense?

You don't have a video monitor yet? Strive to aquire one. In the mean time, you can use the best TV in the house. ;-)

Switch it back to FireWire DV. That way, you can see the actual quality of your rendered graphics, color correction on the video monitor (the computer monitor will not show you this) and hear your audio at full quality not downsampled from 48 kHz to 44.1.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
May 18, 2006 01:10PM
appreciate your input. I'll copy it and read it some more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics