Can't capture with new hard drive.

Posted by Kevlor2000 
Can't capture with new hard drive.
May 22, 2006 11:42AM
Okay, I have an imac G5 2ghz and have recently installed a new G-Tech external hard drive for more space. I have a Canon Gl2 camcorder that had no problem capturing before. Now, if the new hard drive is turned on. (Both connected via firwire) they both seem to cancel eachother out. When trying to start FCP, it just won't start up and the new hard drive doesn't exist on the computer.

If the hard drive is turned off and my internal hard drive is set as the main scratch disk then, no problem.

I went to the Apple Support site and people there (on the forums) were suggesting that I either need a new camcorder or (gulp) new computer. Then I hear that Canon's are a major problem.

I've tried all the reformatting and Quicktime solutions and nothing seems to work. What gives? Is there a practical solution out there anywhere?

Kevin
Re: Can't capture with new hard drive.
May 22, 2006 01:33PM
The issue is that you only have 1 firewire bus....and the camera and drive are trying to use it. But...can't you connect the camera to the drive (daisy chain) and have that work? I swear I have never had problems like this, and I have a GL1.

And a G-Raid.

And an iBook!
May 22, 2006 03:18PM
What do you mean by Daisy Chain(Specifically)?
May 22, 2006 03:31PM
Like I said...connect drive to yoru computer, then camera to the drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics