I dedicate this video to all working editors in this town.. may god bless you

Posted by rgdfilms 
I dedicate this video to all working editors in this town.. may god bless you
May 08, 2006 03:27AM
smiling smiley

I haven't had a day off for 13 days until today and made this video w/ some friends who are also editors -

[www.richard-darge.com]
Re: I dedicate this video to all working editors in this town.. may god bless yo
May 08, 2006 09:00AM
......?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: I dedicate this video to all working editors in this town.. may god bless yo
May 08, 2006 09:50AM
How big is this file? I can't open it in my browser. What's the format and the specifics of posting your movie on the Internet?

Thanks and good luck!
May 08, 2006 11:54AM
that was cool i really liked the fast cuts when he was "editing"

Sean
Hi-la-rious!

Congratulations, you guys managed to synthesize the life of the editor (at least the beginning editor!).

Great work!
May 08, 2006 08:30PM
I was worried that the pay was going to involve more bending over.. I know some of my previous clients have tried this method. tongue sticking out smiley

Nice one rgd. smiling smiley
"It's like watching my own life!"

Ok, not really, but I found quite a few chuckles in there.

Thanks for sharing, Richard! I had some trouble with my ISP and I couldn't get the .mov to stream or download until this morning. I almost gave up and moved on. I'm glad I didn't!

thanks guys!

oh yea, is it illegal for a post house to work you 12-15 hour days, 14 days straight without overtime?
Re: I dedicate this video to all working editors in this town.. may god bless you
May 09, 2006 01:25PM
> oh yea, is it illegal for a post house to work you 12-15 hour days, 14 days
> straight without overtime?

I'm pretty sure it is, unless you're freelancing. Why do you agree to do this? "The project needs to get done" is not a legitimate excuse for a boss to keep you beyond your agreed-upon hours without overtime, and even then, it should be a voluntary thing. If they do it for 14 days straight, then they're not planning their schedules properly. That is, unless you're doing things more slowly than professional standards -- pretty hard to gauge that; it's your own judgment call.

Producers will squeeze every last drop of work from you if you allow them. It's their job to keep the costs as low as possible, whether the practice is fair or not; it's your job to charge what's reasonable. Be fair but firm. If they're trying to do a five-day project within three days, then they didn't budget properly; it's not up to you to fatten the company's coffers by sacrificing your own health and sanity just so they can get things done ahead of schedule. If you keep beating the clock for them, for no more money, why should they ever plan to give you five days' pay if you're doing it all in three? You're just cheapening your market value this way.
Sound advice, thanks.. i was doing it, working overtime primarily because the senior editors and other staff here were doing it also without qualms, i have no idea why, lately i've been splitting after 10 hours regardless of their moaning and groaning -
Re: I dedicate this video to all working editors in this town.. may god bless you
May 09, 2006 03:39PM
I also see a fundamental paradox, a trap they can lead us into: At the assistant level, we often see that management and our leaders would put in extra hours. But you also have to remember how much more they get paid, and that if they make unreasonable promises to clients, they're the ones who get a shiv in the cojones. So they'll often have no qualms about trying to meet the most unreasonable, ill-conceived promises at your expense. Therefore, the argument that "If the big fish stay longer, so should the little fish" is flawed. If the little fish rot away and die, the big fish get fatter from devouring the corpse.
YES and YES, great analogy

You rock Mok
[oh yea, is it illegal for a post house to work you 12-15 hour days, 14 days straight without overtime]

It's entirely up to you, if you need to eat.

In the fullness of time, you'll have eough to eat and you'll simply dodge those bullets and pass them onto the new blood.

Statistics indicate that people who work over 50 hours a week are more prone to heart disease. But that's when you get older. Hell, I worked three days straight often enough in the 80's and 90's. Most of us have. Now I observe the Guild card regarding rate and overtime/turnaround as my minimums. Just in case my clients become signatories! ;-)

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics