OT: Apple Store Opening

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
OT: Apple Store Opening
May 22, 2006 06:35PM
Lots of vids and pictures out there of Apples recent grand opening of their newest store in NYC. But I really like this one sent to me by Keith Larson.

Re: OT: Apple Store Opening
May 22, 2006 06:54PM
ok, i just have to ask - WHY the HELL would anyone go though all that just to get into a store and see the same products they can see at the local CompUSA????

and while were at it can anyone tell me what makes podcasting anything more than "here, let me download that for you"????

i must be getting old - cause i just dont get the hype...
Anonymous User
May 22, 2006 07:00PM
They were giving away a Macbook an hour for one thing. And people just like sharing with other like minded people things they perceive as big events. This was a pretty big event for Mac Geeks.

May 22, 2006 07:58PM
<<<i must be getting old - cause i just dont get the hype...>>>

Age has nothing to do with it, although you are getting a little......

Anyway, it's all theater.

How many thousands of people turned out for the introduction of the new Dell Laptops? Lenovo? (who?)

Why do any of this? You can shop at home and get FedEx to bring you all the hardware. Because unless your FedEx guy is a lot more entertaining than mine is, he can't hold a candle to an Apple Opening Theatrical Presentation.

That and having a lock on 3% of the computer market brings people closer together. Just ask the Amiga Folks.

Koz

May 22, 2006 08:18PM
It's not the "hype"...it's a happening...and it's the location. NYC is a giant neighborhood. When something new opens in the neighborhood, people check it out. Also, it's like a Nightclub Opening. If you've never been to a Nightclub Opening, I can't explain it. it's just a very special event that is talked about in the "In Crowd" and just from word of mouth, everyone wants to be there.

EXCELLENT clip, Mike. I would have LOVED to be there. That looks like a cool place to have lunch and meet Apple people...right outside that store in the plaza where the WiFi is pumpin' FREE (after the opening craziness is out of the way, of course). Those new MacBooks are black & white. They make sexy accessories for your iPod smiling smiley

Thanx for that, Mike.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 22, 2006 08:46PM
<<<When something new opens in the neighborhood, people check it out.>>>

So, ummm, how are you doing all these things from Florida?

Koz

May 22, 2006 08:47PM
i guess P.T. Barnum was right...
May 22, 2006 08:56PM
<<<So, ummm, how are you doing all these things from Florida?>>>

I was born & raised in NY...I didn't say I was there NOW, I said I would have Loved to be there (read the post - it helps with a response winking smiley ). I'm obviously not doing these things there anymore...because I am not there, I am in Florida (jeez, man). You gotta problem witdat?? winking smiley

<<<Why do any of this? You can shop at home and get FedEx to bring you all the hardware. Because unless your FedEx guy is a lot more entertaining than mine is, he can't hold a candle to an Apple Opening Theatrical Presentation.>>>

Interaction with PEOPLE. Conversation / talking / networking. You gotta get out of the basement every now & then to get some vitamin K from the sun or your skin will fall off. Go outside, dude!

Way to generalize, there, wayne.

- Joey

Post Edited (05-22-06 19:30)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 22, 2006 09:36PM
Come on, guys...let's stay nice.
May 22, 2006 10:02PM
the guy who thinks its "cool" to hang out at a computer store says that its ME who needs to get out more? - hahaha -

i wasnt going to say anything but man, you teed that one up soooo beautifully, i just had to swing!!!

hey joey im just yankin yer chain man - its all jokes
May 22, 2006 10:21PM
hey, i think the mods here are getting an itchy trigger finger... pulling joes post that said:

---

So, ummm, I was born & raised in NY. You gotta problem witdat?? winking smiley

wayne, you need to get out more.

- Joey

----

makes my joke-post above about "getting out more" sound like im coming from out of nowhere...
everyone here knows that joey and i go to the mat from time to time, but we keep our really hostile stuff off-line.

you gotta give us a chance to neutralize it before ya go off willy-nilly pulling selective posts - otherwise the continuity is lost.
May 22, 2006 10:31PM
>>i think the mods here are getting an itchy trigger finger... pulling joes post<<

Uh. That post looks there to me...

Re Podcasting - it's a great democratic (ias long as you can afford to do it and understand how to do it) medium for radio style and now video programming. Just like desktop publishing, it llows anyone the ability to broadcast their work worldwide.

For eg. The Digital Buzz! A tight niche market that wouldn't get a sideways glance from radio stations, but is listened to and enjoyed by probably thousands all over the world.

I also get to listen to local radio segments (JJJ's Hack) that I otherwise couldn't hear because I am working when they are on air. They get delivered to my door and I can keep them if I need them for research purposes.
May 22, 2006 11:04PM
its not there jude - look again... unless im just losing my mind...

anyway, im not against podcasting per se. i was just wondering why "here, let me download that (indiscriminately) for you" added value or deserved a "branded" behavior...? i just think the term pod "cast" is BS

im sorry, im a video editor, i dont really EVER have an occasion where i can sit through [non-billable] LINEAR content unless i want to kill my entire non-computer-related life. i subscribed to all the podcasts at first, but then i never had time to view them...

is there a way to search a podcast (video or audio) for content. im quite happy to be schooled here...
May 22, 2006 11:24PM
Yep there's a way - if the podcaster has put them in. In The Digital Buzz there are chapter markers, and you can select which part of the show to go to. There is also a link to a webpage about the weeks cast, so that you can see, say, who guest one is, and decide if you have the time and/or interest to listen to that. I usually skip segments on cameras, because I don't shoot and have no interest in them.

I'm not sure what kind of podcasts you've been listening to - the ones I listen to are not indiscriminate downloads, they are new content programming, often in niche market areas.

Here's a link to 'Hack'. They are mostly short (5 to 10 minute) segments on items of interest to politically minded Australian Youth (which is currently defined as up to 45!)

"Hack covers a range of topics of interest to young people in Australia & around the world - current affairs, health issues, music, politics and culture."

[www.abc.net.au]

No product adverstising - this is our national Gov broadcaster.
May 22, 2006 11:37PM
very interesting! thanks jude - i'll have a look at those ; )

i still think that until there is a (for lack of better term) "podcast browser" that you simply can beat a well organized web page/site for efficient information dissemination...

unless youre a graphic designer and can just let stuff play in the background all day - MAN i MISS those days!!!!!

for now - im back to the suns game!!!!!!!
May 22, 2006 11:38PM
or should i have said "clippers game"? - i forget where i am sometimes - ; )
May 23, 2006 04:43AM
The Apple store is Perty Buzzy-
Re: OT: Apple Store Opening, yawn
May 23, 2006 02:37PM
Heck with New York.
When will Apple understand the huge market potential of a store in Boise ID?

bogiesan, boise ID
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics