PAL DV, field dominance etc

Posted by Neil Cunningham 
PAL DV, field dominance etc
May 28, 2006 03:58AM
I completed a title sequence last week. The base footage was shot on PAL DV, the final application was UK broadcast - via DigiBeta.

My fcp project was set to lower field dominance, everything slotted together well and I exported a quicktime onto a harddrive to be put to tape at a facility house.

They used AVID to play out the quicktime to tape. The field order on the finished work was correct (ie pans and other movement were fine) however there were 'jaggies' on still detail. We corrected this in an editbox by deinterlacing, disentangling, shifting field 2 down by two video lines, then bolting everything back together.

What went wrong?
Re: PAL DV, field dominance etc
May 28, 2006 08:36AM
PAL DV is lower, PAL uncompressed upper. If everything looked fine on your PAL monitor at your end, guessing the Avid screwed it up somehow. But taking an individual field and moving it 2 lines? I don't get it!

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
May 28, 2006 01:27PM
The output from the AVID had the correct field order, but the lower field was positioned above the upper field.
May 28, 2006 02:06PM
Weird. If it wasn't like that on your mac and FCP, it's got to be the Avid that got it wrong.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics