Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine Error

Posted by Dale Kutzera 
Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine Error
May 27, 2006 02:09PM
Hi,
I keep getting an error -2014 when trying to reverse telecine a clip in Cinema Tools. It thinks for a moment, then stops and gives me this error regardless of what field settings I give it. Then it says this error is typically due to lack of memory, but I have plenty of memory and drive space. Any workarounds for this? I'm using Cinema Tools 2.2

Thanks.
Re: Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine Error
May 27, 2006 02:34PM

<<<I have plenty of memory and drive space.>>>

People usually *mean* to say, "....on my media drive."

INFO *all* your drives. If the System drive is getting full, many oddball things can fail or act badly. You can also have a full drive connected that everyeone's forgtotten about because it's not used for anything. That one counts, too. At least 10% free space everywhere.

Is the piece huge? Could you duplicate your show three times on your drives? That's the kind of room that 3:2 and other programs need.

Did you put a slash mark "/" in your filenames? That's not a good idea and that too, will cause problems.

Koz

May 27, 2006 04:00PM
Thanks for the help. I made more room on my startup drive...20 gigs now. The clip itself is about 2 gigs. I'm still getting this "procedure halted because on error -2014 occurred." Very frustrating. This is a film clip, transferred to hi-def, converted to digibeta, and then to a quicktime file. Just trying to get it to 24p so I can cut in my FCP project which is in 24p.

Dale
May 27, 2006 04:32PM
This must be something with the clips. I've tried others and it works just fine. So it's not a memory problem. Do clips have to have a time code burn in in order to be reversed?
May 27, 2006 05:00PM
The plot thickens. When I view a clip in Cinema Tools, I clearly see the interlaced edges around movement. Three frames are clean, two are interlaced, then another three clean (no jagged edges). When I view the same clip in FCP there are no jagged edges, but every 4th frame is repeated. I'm a newbie so any help in making this true 24 would be welcome. Perhaps an FCP pro project file set up in 24p automatically duplicates those frames to compensate for the 30fps. So the mystery still goes back to why my Cinema Tools won't reverse these clips.
May 27, 2006 06:41PM
I can throw a little light. The former effect is 3:2 where each frame is broken up into two low rez fields and redistributed to make up the difference between 24 and 30.

The latter effect is a system that can't manage classic 3:2 field juggle and simply duplicates one whole frame every so often to make up the 4/5 difference.

Obviously, the latter looks much worse which is why classic 3:2 was designed.

All of these effects only appear when you're viewing or managing a 24-frame project in 30.

I'm sorry I can't tell you "Do This" and the problem will go away, but I know that it is.

Koz

May 27, 2006 07:39PM
> Do clips have to have a time code burn in in order to be reversed?

No. Neither FCP nor Cinema Tools "interprets" the image. If you had numbers on screen, neither application will try to "read" those numbers.

> When I view a clip in Cinema Tools, I clearly see the interlaced edges around
> movement. Three frames are clean, two are interlaced, then another three
> clean (no jagged edges). When I view the same clip in FCP there are no
> jagged edges, but every 4th frame is repeated.

The first one you mentioned is 2:3 pulldown -- it's normal for material that originated in 24fps (eg. film, or 24p) but has been transferred onto video at 29.97fps:

[www.kenstone.net]

Oh, and when you're counting those "whole/split/split" frames, you should be counting like this: "Whole/Whole/Split/Split/Whole". That's how it works. The "A" frame of this pattern (the first frame in the series, which is not interlaced) *should* always fall on 0s and 5s in the timecode. Go to the "24p Shooting Decisions" section of Graeme Nattress' article above; it explains the pattern extremely well.

Let's check your workflow. Outline every step you took to get from tape to captured clips. What format was the footage shot in? How did you capture? With the problematic clip(s), did you try to use Remove Advanced Pulldown in Final Cut Pro? Is your timeline in 23.98fps or 29.97fps? Are you trying to edit in 23.98fps or 29.97fps?
May 28, 2006 06:06PM
Ultimately, I took my portable drive to the local Apple store and the manager was kind enough to let me plug in and use one of their mac's to make the conversion. Guess this is a sign to upgrade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics