Copying + pasting individual keyframes between clips?

Posted by robk 
Copying + pasting individual keyframes between clips?
May 27, 2006 05:55AM
Hi there -
Does anyone know of a way to copy and paste individual keyframes between clips, eg. scale, centre etc., ..like you can in Avid? The idea, obviously, is to avoid having to copy an entire move/effect/filter and then manually adjust your keyframe values by punching in the correct numerical values.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated....Thanks guys!!!

Re: Copying + pasting individual keyframes between clips?
May 27, 2006 05:51PM
Click on the clip to have Attributes Copied and Apple-Click or (right click if you have a 3 button mouse) and choose copy attributes of the clip. Then go to the other clip(s) and choose Paste Attributes. You will get to decide which of the current effects or controls to paste onto another clip.
May 28, 2006 04:35AM
Thanks for responding John, but unfortunately I was asking a different type of question. You see, the problem with "paste attributes" is that it'll paste, for instance, all keyframes for all basic motion parameters, including scale, centre etc. etc., which is really helpful in some cases; but I was wondering if it was possible to simply copy an individual keyframe value, say for scale for example, and then paste it onto another keyframe already in another clip. ...Now that would be really handy!!

Cheers,

Rob
May 28, 2006 07:08AM
Nope, sorry - I can't even imagine why that would be handy. In most cases you would want the frames to all look/do the same.
How does that feature work in AVID?
May 28, 2006 09:44AM
> Nope, sorry - I can't even imagine why that would be handy. In most cases
> you would want the frames to all look/do the same.
> How does that feature work in AVID?

There has been discussion in here about that, and I remember it's been on the wishlist for future feature requests. This feature would be useful if you have a "relaying" of clips and their effects -- for example, one clip is distorted and moved into a certain position onscreen, then another clip appears in that exact spot to pick up the motion and go somewhere else. Then Copy/Paste Attributes wouldn't do well, because you're not trying to get the clip to end up in that shape and position; you're trying to get it to start there.

I'm sure Final Cut Pro can do that yet -- copy the properties of a single keyframe. But then again, I use numbers all the time, so I'm used to just keying in the same properties.
Very very old feature request!

The opportunity is there. In the Time Graph you have blue dots indicating a collection subcategory of keyframe (scale, rotation etc) and this would make fine copy-able keyframes which contain all parameters for each sub.

In the Timeline you have some control over keyframes but it's tedious to tease out the collection you want to dupe.

Just plain old COPY-PASTE single set keyframes... what's so hard about that?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
May 28, 2006 05:31PM
Thanks for the responses and the support guys!! Having a bit of friendly backup in a community such as this one is always touching and empowering at the same time - "e-bonding" at it's best!
The copy/paste issue is only my main gripe with fcp because i use the feature a lot in avid (in the uk), and therefore miss it. Perhaps we can use Loren's ideas to support a renewed burst of the feature request for the next release...?! I'm sure those brainboxes at Apple can figure it out somehow!..

T'ra, ..and thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics