capturing 1080i 60i to fcp from the sony hdv deck

Posted by Patrick Hyde 
capturing 1080i 60i to fcp from the sony hdv deck
May 26, 2006 10:42PM
FCP is controlling the deck but isn't previewing or capturing the tape. Is it the deck? I have FCP set to 1080i 60. it worked when I had a mini-dv tape in the deck with the dv setting on fcp.
Re: capturing 1080i 60i to fcp from the sony hdv deck
May 27, 2006 01:31AM
do you have FCP 5.1? That may make a difference. Have you captured from a sony camera that the footage was filmed on? was it filmed on a sony camera?

Good luck!

Kevin

"A problem can never be solved by the same consciousness that created it"
Einstein
May 27, 2006 01:45AM
Thanks, Kevin.
Yes, I have FCP 5.1, just installed it last week. Shot with the Sony Z1U, rented it. Was told by DP to use deck instead of camera to capture for FCP.
May 27, 2006 06:18AM
<<<FCP set to 1080i 60. >>>

I'm seein' a setup problem. It's not *just* 1080i, you need to find the HDV settings and it should say so.

Koz

May 27, 2006 10:53AM
Thanks. Find them on FCP?
May 27, 2006 12:09PM
Go to audio/video settings and make sure you have HDV 1080i selected along with Sony HDV deck for capture selected. Also in your capture window make sure you have selected audio and video or all you will see is a black screen.

I have also found that when I go back and forth from regular dv to HDV I have to dump my preferences for FCP or the program gets confused. That is where I would start, then select all the HDV presets again.

good luck!

Kevin

Einstein
May 27, 2006 01:17PM
Thanks, Kevin. Didn't see a selection specifically for the sony deck but put in hdv for capture. Checked audio & video, same thing, put in 1080i, hdv, sony fire wire. Video playback selections were confusing, would that have anything to do with it?
May 27, 2006 07:58PM
"Video playback selections were confusing, would that have anything to do with it?"

It shouldn't. All that does is tell FCP where to send the video signal after capture I believe. Your right about sony firewire, thats what I mean't.

I've run out of ideas, don't forget about throwing away your preferences and see if that helps. I've captured plenty of HDV using the FX1 camera instead of a deck. Are you sure it ws filmed in HDV?

Kevin

Einstein
May 28, 2006 01:31AM
Does throwing away preferences mean changing them or is there something else to do with them?
Thanks.
May 28, 2006 02:58AM
Just wondering if the firewire has anything to do with my problem, it's an apple firewire that came with the rental deck, should there be an actual sony firewire with the deck?
Thanks.
May 28, 2006 12:54PM
throwing away prefs:

users>your name>library>preferences>FCP preferences

Select those and throw them in the trash. When you restart FCP it will ask you what you want to set the system up for, DV or HDV, where to set your scratch disk, etc.

If the fire wire cable was bad you wouldn't be able to do any control of the deck, but its worth a try to get a new one. Shouldn't matter if its an apple one, thats what I use.

I would try to get the camera back and capture from that as well. Maybe something is wrong with the deck. Can you see the footage on a monitor when you play the tape? Try that and see if the deck can play HDV properly.

good luck!

Kevin

Einstein
May 29, 2006 04:38PM
Thanks vey much for all the advice. Spent two hours with the final cut pro expert at the Apple store today and he determined that the deck I got from the rental house (sony hdv m1ou) just isn't compatible with FCP. He tried trashing the preferences too. Should've gotten hvr m10u. The hdv deck captured the tape but not in 1080i.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics