Paste Attributes

Posted by edc 
edc
Paste Attributes
May 29, 2006 01:42PM
This does not seem to work consistantly. I've had problem on multiple systems and a few software versions. Using 5.1 currently. Does anyone have a solution to this? At NAB the demo person was aware of it but had no answers

Re: Paste Attributes
May 29, 2006 01:45PM
wish i was aware of it smiling smiley
i'm not on 5.1
what are the symptoms?

nick
edc
May 29, 2006 04:29PM
After I copy and select paste attributes, the paste attributes palate will appear on ocassion. When the palate does appear, I can only paste no more than 2 times.Then it stops appearing. Im running FCP 4 at home and 5.1 at work. Any Suggestions?

Ed
May 29, 2006 05:20PM
have you tried trashing your preferences?

read this:
[www.lafcpug.org]

nick
May 30, 2006 08:02PM
Sometimes, paste attributes > Content shows up "black"...

So I quit and re-launch and it shows the video just fine.

I hope the FCP team reads this forum... there are numerous I/O problems with FCP 5.x and Tiger and Panther.

I'm still upset that you can't paste attributes > Controls for Text clips.

While you can paste attributes > (anything) to a number of destination clips, I also wish you could select a range of source clips, and paste attributes > Content to an exact compliment of destination clips (sort of like the old days of COBOL programming doing the "Move Corresponding" command).

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
edc
May 31, 2006 09:49AM
I went home last night and trashed my preferences. Paste attributes came up the first time I tried it but the second time it palette didnot appear. This is on FCP 4 / 10.2.6. Is this just me? Is your system working reguarding this problem?

The Immigrant issue is a great topic. What's the "GLBT"?
I've been an editor for 20 years-( Linear / Avid ) and worked on many docs for Discovery, PBS and National Geo. Im trying to like FCP but I think as a finishing tool I think still needs work.
May 31, 2006 10:36AM
> Paste attributes came up the first time I tried it but the second time it
> palette did not appear.

In the interim, did you happen to copy something whose attributes can't be pasted?
May 31, 2006 11:19AM
Seems to me I had a problems with Paste Attributes failing to launch the pallet once when I had an In or Out point (or both) active.

edc
May 31, 2006 11:32AM
As a test, the first time I tried was a Color Correction Filter, second was the broadcast safe filter. What are the items that you cant copy and paste?
edc
May 31, 2006 11:37AM
I'll test it eliminating the in/out points.
May 31, 2006 11:54AM
> As a test, the first time I tried was a Color Correction Filter, second was the
> broadcast safe filter. What are the items that you cant copy and paste?

Just to make sure, you know how Paste Attributes works, right? If you open a clip up to its Filters tab and copy the filters themselves, you can't use Paste Attributes to apply those filters to another clip -- you will have to open those other clips and go to Paste (APPLE-V), or drag the filters from the Viewer and drop them onto the clips in the timeline. To use Paste Attributes, you have to copy the clip *itself*. Once you have the effects on a certain clip, select that clip in the timeline (or open it up in the Viewer and stay in the Video tab) and press APPLE-C (Copy). Then you can select the target clip(s) in the timeline and press OPTION-V for Paste Attributes.

I'm pretty certain In and Out points do not affect Paste Attributes -- Paste Attributes will work on the clips you have selected.
May 31, 2006 12:19PM
Perhaps slightly off topic - One thing with Paste Attributes is that it "adds" filters, not "over writes" them.

If you don't go back and look at the filters in your (destination) clips, you can have many multiple copies of filters, which really slows down rendering/export time.

I would also think that trying to Paste Attributes filters with "wells" might hose things up, especially if the clip itself was the clip dragged to the well... if you did a Paste Attributes filters of a clip with itself in the well, you wouldn't want to paste that filter to another clip...

I recall a situation a few weeks ago (FCP Studio current and OSX current on my G5 dual 2) where Paste Attributes did not work once for a particular instance. Seems to me the fix was either I had an In/Out point set, or I wound up copying the clips on the sequence to a new sequence.

edc
May 31, 2006 01:36PM
maybe it how I'm doing it. Lets say I make an effect with a grain and color corrction filter, crop, resize and position with a shadow. I double click that clip and copy. I go to my new clip click that and paste attributes. Its just not consistant in applying them.

I am aware of the tab where I can drag and drop an effect from one clip to another but for complex things the paste attributes should work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics