Progessive scan footage flickering in FCP

Posted by howarduk 
Progessive scan footage flickering in FCP
May 31, 2006 01:41PM
Hi Everyone:

Hope someone can help me. I am located in the Virgin Islands and have an impending deadline. My original footage which was captured w/ my sony pd170 in progressive scan mode flickers when previewed in FCP and on output monitors. What is the cure for this problem? My deadline is looming large and I have a client that loves to scream.
Have tried changing the sequence settings to 24fps and the compressor to dv-pal (which, after rendering, eliminates the flickering) however the clip will only output freeze frames to external monitor. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

howard

Re: Progessive scan footage flickering in FCP
May 31, 2006 02:45PM
The PD170 doesn't have a progressive scan mode though. Did you shoot PAL or NTSC?

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
May 31, 2006 03:01PM
Graeme:

Thanks for your response.

I shot in NTSC; in the menu under "manual set" is the progressive mode feature which can be set to either on or off.

Howard
May 31, 2006 03:23PM
But that's not a real progressive mode - it's a sort of Sony faked up thing that runs at 15 fps if my memory serves me right. To help you beyond that, I'd need to see some of the footage to see if any kind of fix is possible.

Graeme

May 31, 2006 03:35PM
Graeme:

I have found a solution, however, the entire clip is only viewable as freeze frames. I cannot play it from start to finish. My external monitor will not play it. Does FCP has some settings that I need to adjust to make it play correctly. Again, i have rendered the clip as a dv-pal compressed file @ 24fps.

Thanks for your help,

Howard
May 31, 2006 03:39PM
It would have to be DV-NTSC 23.98fps for FCP to play out to a monitor properly.

Graeme

June 01, 2006 10:34AM
I also have a suggestion for howarduk: aside from making sure the footage plays at 23.98 fps, make sure these clips have their field dominance set to "none" in the Browser column "Field Dominance." Progressive scan footage's field dominance is always supposed to be set to none.

writetome51
June 01, 2006 11:52AM
Graeme/writetome:

Thanks for your response.

Let me get this straight, when loading the footage does my capture and sequence settings need to set at DV-NTSC advanced 2:3:3:2 pulldown (or straight DV-NTSC) and DV-NTSC 23.98fps respectively?

Howard
June 01, 2006 12:07PM
No, should be DV NTSC 29.97fps. You're not using a Panasonic 24p camera, so no 2:3:3:2 pulldown to remove. Just use the DV NTSC easy preset.

Graeme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics