Really weird! Bin disappeared!!!

Posted by NotaPipe 
Really weird! Bin disappeared!!!
May 31, 2006 08:46PM
Way back when, when I took the original clips, removed the in-camera sound (this is a dv project), and sunk them with the good imported production sound, I created a bin entitled "sunk clips", which I then dragged into the timeline, and which is now the edited film.

Strangely, this bin has disappeared. The film in the timeline still has the good sound, so somehow they "know" they are still linked, but WHERE IS THE BIN WITH THE SUNK TAKES?

Anybody have any clue what might have happened to it and if I'll get in trouble without it? I am soon planning on removing the hard drive the film is on and giving it to the sound designer.

Thank you for any thoughts.
Re: Really weird! Bin disappeared!!!
June 01, 2006 01:25AM
it's not that out of the ordinary.
you caould have accidentaly delted the bin
it's a bit odd that you dodnt get a warning when the bin was accidnetaly deleted:
"the clips you are abput to delete are master clips"... etc, etc
but you dont say what version of FCP you;re using.
you wouldnt get that waring in FCP3 or less

maybe the bin has been accidentaly put *inside* another bin?
you cou;d do a search in hte browser for that.
OR
if the clips in hte timeline are still "affiliates" of the "master" sync clips which are hidden somewhere in hte project,
park on a clip in the timeline,
hit Shift F.
the master clip will be revealed and you would have found the sync clips bin

------------------------------------------

remember that EVERYTHING in FCP is just a pointer back to your media files on their hard disks.

you may have lost the bin the sync clips were in, but the media is stil online,
and the squnces still have their edits in them.

if you wanted to re-visit a scene, and needed to look at the sync clips again, you'd be at a diadvantage.

do you have an older version of the project that you cold open and look for the sync clips bin?
you could check your autosave vault.

cheers,
nick

June 01, 2006 11:15AM
Nick,

Thanks so much for your response. I am using version 5. The only thing I can think of is that at one point I checked to ignore clips that had gone offline, tho I thought this referred to some clips I deleted cause I knew we'd never use them. Somehow the entire bin went missing. And, oddly, when I shift-find, only a small number of clips come up in the browser, and in the unsunk, bad sound bin, tho the sound is ok.

I went to an older version and found the bin. Can you please tell me how I can get it into my current project file?

Thanks again, and in advance, for your help!

Nancy
June 01, 2006 11:44AM
> I went to an older version and found the bin. Can you please tell me how I
> can get it into my current project file?

Copy-Paste. You've probably lost the master-affiliate relationships between the timeline and the clips in question, but it's better than nothing. At the very least, even if you lose the ability to Match Frame properly, you can use timecodes to locate missing sound, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics